what can the harbor freight tig set be used on

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

bornofthehorse

what can the harbor freight tig set be used on

Post by bornofthehorse »

I want a tig for hobby stuff but they are way out of my pocket range. I have a wire feed (campbell)and a rod welder ( old farm all). Theres argon on the mig for alumi welding but I was wondering if I route the argon to a HF 45966 tig hand set ($39.99). Can I pull my current for the tip from one of the two.
sandman2234

Re: what can the harbor freight tig set be used on

Post by sandman2234 »

I am not sure what your asking, but yes you can run an external HF box from an existing welder and power the tig torch from there. To run aluminum it will need to be AC, and have lots of reserve power. Aluminum takes a lot of heat compared to steel.
I traded for a Lincoln HF box years ago from a guy that beat me out of it at auction. He just wanted the welder that was hooked to it. When I purchased a welder to power it, it was already set up with HF, so i sold the box. It was a 500 amp Lincoln HF, and I got a pretty penny for it when I sold it.
BP 2j vs, SB lathe, W& S #4 Turret lathe, Maho 600P