Porter-McLeod lathe anyone heard of them??

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ALCOSTEAM

Porter-McLeod lathe anyone heard of them??

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

A friend of a friend just bought a Porter-McLeod lathe. It is about a 14" or so machine and looks to be in decent condition. Price was a decent 200.00 which included a 3 jaw chuck and a steady rest.
Doesn't seem to be much information on this company so if anyone has info it would be nice to know where they came from and if there is any support offered for these lathes.

tim
44dwarf

Re: Porter-McLeod lathe anyone heard of them??

Post by 44dwarf »

Holy old thread I know.
I'm hoping you, your friend and I might be able to trade some info on Porter McLeod lathes as it sounds like we both have the same machines. As you might know they were built in Hatfield Mass. I'm about 40 miles from Hatfield and up until last year had never heard or seen a Porter McLeod lathe...
I'm searching for a good image of the feed rate chart and gear set up on the left side of the lathe. My feed chart is very damaged I can't make much out.
Thank you for your time.
Tony aka 44Dwarf
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Vintage Machinery mentions them but has minimal information. But maybe someone there knows someone, etc.
http://www.vintagemachinery.org

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
spro

Post by spro »

Holy old thread doesn't matter. Welcome to the Board Tony! Maybe we see some pics of this lathe. Machinery design is mind candy for many. Can't quite put my finger on it but is useful.
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

I have not talked to the guy in a couple years now but I do believe he sold the lathe. I see his father once in a great while, the lathe was in the fathers garage last I knew. I will ask next time I see the guy.
44dwarf

Post by 44dwarf »

Here's a link to pictures, and a paper catalog sales flyer i was able to find at an antique book shop a few towns away from Hatfeild.
NOTE: The lathe was obtained at an estate sale. the former owner was a major hack the chips were so high you could not move the carriage more than 1 to 2inches i scooped out six 5-gallon pails of chips...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... d174d5715a