Norton surface grinder

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

G4lsa

Norton surface grinder

Post by G4lsa »

I am in the process of buying an oldish Norton surface grinder (I think it may be classed as a 6" x 18") which has problems with the hydraulic table feeds.
Anyone any ideas where to find any info on this machine please.
Will Bleeker

Re: Norton surface grinder

Post by Will Bleeker »

Don't know where to get any information myself but would also like some. I have a Norton surface grinder hydraulics seem fine but I am missing the stops for the table crossfeed so I have to change direction manually. There doesn't seem to be any model number on the machine it just says Norton hydraulic surface grinder.
Thanks in advance
Will Bleeker
stephen thomas

Re: Norton grinder manual

Post by stephen thomas »

Tony's lathe's UK sells one for small Nortons. But don't know if it is the right model. Maybe you guys oughta be sitting down. Or maybe you could go partners on it. He's not giving it away!

tony's lathes uk site/manuals

scroll waaay down to Norton. good luck. smt
Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

Maybe do some searching of Norton Grinder to find many for sale with photos and specifications so you can identify your particular grinder model. Typical example of a 6" X 18" here; http://www.nsmachine.com/10512.html
Don't forget that folks selling a grinder like yours may also have a copy of the manual they would sell. Good hunting. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/wink.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.
g4lsa

Post by g4lsa »

Thanks for the info. See what you mean by sitting down, by the time I get postage etc it will cost almost as much as the grinder!

Cannot see a model no as yet as it really dirty and I am not sure where to look. Would have thought there was some info around somewhere as there was a lot of these grinders about at one time.
David_Brown

Post by David_Brown »

I owned a Norton tool & cutter grinder back in the '80's. Norton in Worcester, MA, had manuals at that time. They also made surface grinders etc. Norton are the sandpaper people, with huge hills of whatever they are using to make sandpaper piled along the highway. At the time they wanted 50.00 for a manual, but I happened to be driving by and they gave me a photocopy.
David_Brown

Post by David_Brown »

Whoops, meant to add that I did use a Norton hydraulic surface grinder at the same time, and the hydraulics were problematic. The machine ate oil, then spat it out all over the floor. Also the table feed was problematic; wouldn't want to start without a nudge. There were other annoyances, but as I haven't used that machine since 1989......
Frank_Dorion

Post by Frank_Dorion »

I have the manuals for two styles of Norton 6x18 surface grinders. The older version is the one shown at the site referenced in Steve in Michigan's reply above. In the older model , a distinguishing characteristic is that the feet of the base casting sort of flare out and protrude from the main box section of the base. Norton made a newer version in which the base is a bigger box which goes straight down to the floor.

Let me know which version you have, and I'll be glad to send you a copy of the manual. It provides extensive operating instructions and parts breakdowns.

Frank Dorion
Will Bleeker

Post by Will Bleeker »

Frank,
I am at work now my machine looks the same as the one in the picture except it has power feeds and I can't see any of the controls in the picture I will have a good look at it tomorrow and see if I can come up with a better way of working out which one it is.
Will
g4lsa

Post by g4lsa »

Thanks for the help everyone. Spent some time looking to see what is for sale as reference, certainly useful.
Frank, not sure if our machine is an old or new version as the owner has not arrived back home yet so we cannot check, a manual would be really great though!
g4lsa

Post by g4lsa »

Hi Frank,

I can confirm that our surface grinder is the old style. If you could copy a manual for it for that would be geat.

Peter
Frank_Dorion

Post by Frank_Dorion »

Peter and Will,

Sounds like you both have the old-style Norton 6X18 grinder. It has power table feed in both directions. Just contact me off-line with your mailing address and the manual will be on its way. You can get my email address by clicking on my name to the left of my posting.

Frank