Life is good

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Forrest_Addy

Life is good

Post by Forrest_Addy »

No big deal but my rickety computer just came back from the computer doctor. It has a brand new video card and a new (to me) monitor.

It was like my cataract operation: after a long decline into dimly seeing only large details as through dirty glass I can now read small print and see the virtual world in vivid color on my new monitor.

Only $150. Probably the least money I ever spent in a computer transaction in my life except for a HP Laserjet. Yup. I stick with older stuff. Cheap works for me.

In the mean time, I can make some lucky guy a heck of a deal on a one owner CRT monitor. Only 78,000 hours on the cathodes.
david_F

Re: Life is good

Post by david_F »

Hey Forest, I know the feeling!
Last week I got my new office monitor, a Philips 107t4, 17" FLATscreen
so flat it looks concave
had been using a 15" at 800x600 and it's LOPT was failing so it was getting fuzzier by the week

running at 1024x768, and I love it (and my eyes are only 36 years old and havn't changed in the last 8 years or so, same specs for ages, though they have grinding spatter on them and I'll get new ones on the medical aid later this year)
--
Grahamstown, South Africa
Myford ML7, various hand tools, lots of scrap metal
R_Johnson

Post by R_Johnson »

Forrest: I'll trade you a plastic dial caliper for the monitor. You pay the shipping!
AndrewMawson

Post by AndrewMawson »

Just recently generated lots of desk space by getting one of those newfangled flat screens. All of a sudden there is room on the desk for other thing than just the screen & k/b

Too damn clever though. I have 3 pc's all sharing the one screen via an auto switcher box. Seems if Bill Gates in a PC cannot 'talk' to the new screen as it boots up he sulks and claims no screen exists, so I have to switch to each pc in turn as I boot up.

Young Bill G was happy with the previous screen - obviously having a tantrum !
Andrew Mawson
Battle, East Sussex, UK