Lathes and dynamic balancing

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

jim

Re: Lathes and dynamic balancing

Post by jim »

http://www.balancespecialties.com/programs/l-m.htm

here is a link to my machine. thanks for the help .if you have the info send it to me .
the engines we run are made out of the box to turn over 19000 stock . 100cc
2 cycle 34hp. sorry about the art thing but it would not take my real name ,i typed itr up before i loged in . jim
gamachinist

Post by gamachinist »

Jim,that machine is neat looking.Did you get any "how to" paperwork with the machine?I'm used to working in "ounce inches" of imbalance.I don't know how that compares to the scale they are using.It's probably a more up to date form of measurement.
It will be a few days before I can send out any scanned info as I can't get the drivers to work.That isn't my game so I'll buy a plug and go setup and be done with it.
I had posted some speeds earlier.I'll have to reread the posts to find out the other info you asked about(or I offered).In the meantime,if you don't have any instructions,contact the builder and see what they can send you.
What kind of engines are these(Who built them)?Does the manf. have tech support for the racing program?They would know more about recip % etc. than most anybody.If you can pry it out of them that is.Sort of like the old works m/c racers with all the parts made from unobtainium.
I'll post more later,Robert.
Hackasaw

Post by Hackasaw »

Rotax should be easy enough to work with but perhaps it's a similar engine.
I see a lot of people that have really dumb signatures they add to their posts on many forums. Why?
Skeeter5000

Something I was told

Post by Skeeter5000 »

I was looking at the local scrap yard for a flywhell for a lawnmower I had. There was a guy looking at some of the engines that where in the pile. I asked what he was looking for and he wanted a flywheel off of a three horsepower Briggs. He stated he used them on a Briggs 5 horsepower in go-cart racing. It allowed the engine to turn up more rpm and rev-ed up faster.

I know some car racers used to put in lighter flywheels for the same reason.
stephen thomas

Re: Lathes, dynamic balancing, Trident cases

Post by stephen thomas »

Robert, you said

"Stephen,are you refering to a Trident or Rocket 3? I may have a spare five speed left side shift(I think the gears etc are the same on the five speeds).Robert."

Wow, a generous offer and much appreciated. But not necessary. What happened was the needle bearing for the layshaft failed in the gear case. (good reason to believe the previous owner's rebuilder botched the installation by whacking it in without a pilot tool) Anyway, after the bearing gave out, the shaft flailed around and beat up the case (It only takes a load in the lower gears, when it's hard to hear weird noises anyway. In high, the mainshaft essentially passes power through without load on any of the rest of the geartrain). The shaft finally broke one day when I downshifted for a short uphill bend to the house. At least it was convenient location. The hole is oversized and tri-lobal to boot. I stripped the motor about a dozen years ago to bore, plug, and rebore the case, but never actually got that far. I do have a complete spare parts bike, and both are right side shifts. Now I really need a case of round to-its. smt