PB Blaster is Snake Oil

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: PB Blaster is Snake Oil

Post by Harold_V »

While the smell of diesel is similar, it's a smell I really detest, so I've never had the courage to try. That said, I expect it would work well, too. If dirty solvent works, I imagine pretty much any light oil will. I recall they used to run lard oil in the W&S turret lathes at Sperry, on which they rough machined the gimbals for the stable platform (guidance system) of the missile. They were made of cast aluminum.

For a guy who hates the smell of diesel, it's hard to tell. I have an old, small Kubota tractor, and two Dodge trucks, all equipped with diesel engines. My backup generator is diesel, too.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

My OH also reacts strongly to the odor of diesel; just one drop and I have to change my clothes when I come into the house.

I guess I'll go out and clean those engine parts that are waiting on my bench.
With diesel.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Diesel works just fine, but the smell will work its way into your house.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

If you only use a little now and then the lamp oils sold for liquid candles and lamps is deodorized kerosene with pretty smells added for the ladies. Come in the house with that on you and you won't get belted with a broom.

Pete
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Tell her it's the latest 'real man' aftershave...
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

I use PB Blaster with great success on stuck, non-rusted parts. Harold, thank you for the tip concerning rust and Coke.

--Bill
You are what you write.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

seal killer wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:20 pm
Harold, thank you for the tip concerning rust and Coke.
That was a lesson learned long ago when I was rebuilding the engine in a '40 LaSalle. There's an exhaust crossover pipe (cast iron) at the top rear of the engine. The bolts had corroded badly and twisted off. I poured on Coke generously and allowed it to work for a day. The broken bolts came right out.
I suspect that one would want to remove any traces of oil before applying the phosphoric acid, regardless of the source.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Harold_V wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:07 pm
seal killer wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:20 pm
Harold, thank you for the tip concerning rust and Coke.
That was a lesson learned long ago when I was rebuilding the engine in a '40 LaSalle. There's an exhaust crossover pipe (cast iron) at the top rear of the engine. The bolts had corroded badly and twisted off. I poured on Coke generously and allowed it to work for a day. The broken bolts came right out.
I suspect that one would want to remove any traces of oil before applying the phosphoric acid, regardless of the source.

H
Remember when we used to use Coke syrup to get rust off bicycle wheels and other chromed bike parts? I used to go to the nearby hotdog stand to buy Coke syrup. The owner always gave me a funny look when I asked for for the stuff in a cup with no soda water.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Coke also removes dead lovebugs from cars. Florida Highway Patrol officer showed me that.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

SteveHGraham wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:54 am Coke also removes dead lovebugs from cars. Florida Highway Patrol officer showed me that.
Please elaborate.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

He cleaned them off my mom's windshield. You pour the Coke on the windshield and turn on the wipers.
spro

Post by spro »

I think some odors cancel the others. Back when I had mature cats, they visited the cat box frequently. Constant cleaning and messy. You could walk in the door and smell it. Over time there were other smells. Couldn't quite know what it was but it wasn't cat box.