Rotary Table Repair

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Ronnie Micro

Rotary Table Repair

Post by Ronnie Micro »

I have a 12" rotary table at work that I need to reassemble. The worm shaft is sleeved eccentrically meaning when I turn the eccentric sleeve it acts like a sort of cam so the worm shaft will mesh with the worm gear. The problem is no matter what I do I cant seem to get it to mesh correctly. Is their a certain procedure or trick that I need to do to get it right ? Although the table was made in china , there is no wear or anything that appears to be broken. If there is anybody with experience with rotary tables that could help me out I would Really appreciate it. Thank You, Ron
Doug_C

Re: Rotary Table Repair

Post by Doug_C »

Hi Ron,

The cam is made like that to engage and disengage it for free spinning the table. Not that this feature is a mystery to you. As far as I know, the highest spot(Max mesh) should remove most back lash. At least as it was made with.

Does the table rotate free?

Is the worm shaft straight and seated completely?

If it was disassembled, did any spacers that set the worm wheel center relation to the worm shaft, get set back in the proper place, missing, installed upside down?

Sometimes the manufacturer may have an exploded view with the parts in proper orientation.

Are there any other signs of conflict?

Install everything loose to get things to fit and with reasonable deduction it may just dawn on you where the problem lies.

In cases like this, it would be nice if those X-ray glasses really worked, huh? [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]

DC
brufsupbane

Re: Rotary Table Repair

Post by brufsupbane »

There should be a set screw which will allow you to adjust that eccentric. I recently
retrifitted mine with 3pc thrust bearings on the eccentric shaft. Now can take take heavy cuts without chatter.