WOW, magnetic chuck error

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

JimGlass

WOW, magnetic chuck error

Post by JimGlass »

Passing along a little experience I had today.

One of the engineers at work asked me to grind the magnetic chuck on a surface grinder the company bought about a year ago. The surface grinder was in a different department than mine. I told the engineer grinding the chuck was easy, just turn it on along with the coolant and grind it!!! He said, "well, I really want you to do it, they are having problems grinding". I said OK and went over to grind the magnet chuck. This is how it started out.
I thought WOW, something wrong so I removed the magnet from the grinder table.

This is what I found, a couple slivers of wood about 2" long crushed to about .015" thick. Picture taken after the underside was cleaned up. Who ever installed the magnet failed to clean it before installation,,Daaaa. One of the maintenance guys did it we think. Can you imagine using a grinder set up like that???

The plant manager suggested a coating of car wax between the magnet and table to prevent rust. Sounded like a good idea so I tried it. I polished off the excess wax after it dried.

Magnet chuck ground. Took about .002" to clean up. .0002" per pass.

For your information
Jim
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com
cmiller231

Re: WOW, magnetic chuck error

Post by cmiller231 »

Jim Just a good thing that they had sense enough to stop seeing that it was not grinding right , What if they had ground it to clean-up????????? Chris