Po' mans electric shop heater

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Wally

Po' mans electric shop heater

Post by Wally »

Here is a poor mans electric shop heater made from 2 dryer elements and a Jennair range blower. The thing is controlled by a low voltage transformer and a condensing unit relay with a wall thermostat. All junk parts and around 34,000 btu. It is mounted high enough that you would have to try to get something stuck in it. Good enough for me.
Can't quite get the image as good as I thought.
Wally

Re: Po' mans electric shop heater - Better Pic?

Post by Wally »

Couldn't get the external image link to work. I'll try to attach a different one here.
Preston

The Fire dept would like your address. :-)

Post by Preston »

[img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smirk.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Bryan

Re: The Fire dept would like your address. :-)

Post by Bryan »

This setup is way better than one that I saw in a shop once...

It was a "U" shaped frame on a pedistal with three 240 volt 1000 watt electrical switchboard heaters bolted to it and a box fan standing behind it... the wiring was open and the stand was a little wobbley... it did put out the heat thou, even from the cable supplying the electricity... [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/shocked.gif"%20alt="[/img]
[b]Bryan[/b]
[i]"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."[/i] Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519)
Rob_Black

Post by Rob_Black »

That looks dangerous, but I kind of like it. Of course, I tried to build a fan out of a 3450 rpm motor by heating up some old plastic blades and pressing the hub onto the motor shaft when I was much younger. I believe it made about 3 revolutions before I began learning about such concepts as "balance", "stress" and "duck".

I do like solutions like the heater; simple, got the parts, makes you warm. There it is, done. And well, you shouldn't stuck your finger there, that'll learn you.

Rob
[b] Some days are diamonds....[/b]
Jim_Popa_N_CA

Re: Po' mans electric shop heater

Post by Jim_Popa_N_CA »

you'll be "po" paying electric rates out here in Checkoslafornia (CA).....If I remember right my electric dryer pulls about 4.5 KW on one element.....Two of them puppies would make my meter vibrate!
R_Johnson

Post by R_Johnson »

Many times the fire dept does'nt need an address, they can see your address
Scott

From miles away!

Post by Scott »

Don't ask how I know that.
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

R_Johnson wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2003 10:28 am Many times the fire dept does'nt need an address, they can see your address
Indeed. :)
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
Steggy

Re: Po' mans electric shop heater

Post by Steggy »

Wally wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2003 12:25 pmAll junk parts and around 34,000 btu.
If it really can produce 34,000 BTUs then it would be drawing more than 10 kilowatts from the line, which would be more than 45 amps. It's an expensive way to heat a shop, in my opinion. Of course, if the heater succeeds in setting the shop on fire you'll get a lot more than 34,000 BTUs in exchange for the 10 KW. :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D