DRO Options

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Bryan

Re: Problems

Post by Bryan »

This is one of the good things about CBX-DRO's (Shooting Star), if you move it from one machine to another, the rack is cheap and easily cut to any length... I have even heard of people getting more rack free on request (but don't rely on this)...
[b]Bryan[/b]
[i]"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."[/i] Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519)
Chris_W

Re: DRO Options

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Mark,
Its been a couple years since I installed the Shooting Star on the Millrite but I'll try and describe how I did it. The X axis was pretty straight forward, I drilled and tapped the forward side of the table near the ends for the rack mounts and made a mount for the encoder that bolted to the saddle where the "stop" was mounted. The Y axis rack I mounted on an aluminum angle "spar" and then mounted that to the right side of the knee (facing the mill). IIRC, I mounted the encoder to the saddle, below the table. I ordered a longer rack for the Z axis, I think it was 25" and I don't remember being charged extra for it. I mounted this to another angle "spar" and fitted that to the column with the encoder riding on the knee. The hardest part was aligning the Z axis and trying to find a flat spot to drill and tap for the mounts. I'll see if I can find the pix I took of the installation.
MarkLong

Post by MarkLong »

Chris_W,

thanks for the reply, pix would be great as I'm thinking the CBX seems to be the best looking option.

Mark
Chris_W

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Mark,
I'll check through my picture files and hope I didn't delete them when I sold the mill. I think you'll be happy with the CBX. I still have one on my 13" South Bend and other than being abit bulky on the crosslide it is great! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/laugh.gif"%20alt="[/img]