Way Wipers

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

dkinzer

Way Wipers

Post by dkinzer »

Has anyone used this type of way wipers to replace original equipment? It looks like it might be just the thing to replace worn out wipers that are no longer available from the manufacturer.

KabelSchlepp Way-Wipers

Don Kinzer
Portland, OR
Don
JHenriksen

Re: Way Wipers

Post by JHenriksen »

I replaced the wipers on my Rockwell lathe with this type of wiper. Getting the cuts right so the joined corners seal is a bit tricky. Some times the exixting mounting holes are too close to the way surface aand tightening the screws bulges out the lip seals. When they fit, they work well.
sierevello

Post by sierevello »

I have heard of people using white wool for wipers. Check Mcmaster Carr. It isn't cheap but it is supposed to work. Thanks, Steve
Orrin

Post by Orrin »

Those wipers look like they'd be good ones. But, I just finished equipping my machines with new felts.

I got my felt from Brownells. They offer a package of soft, medium and hard felts for a reasonable sum. I decided to go this route after looking in the McMaster-Carr catalog. They list such a dizzying array I didn't know which to order. Because the Brownells package offered a variety, I could use the ones that felt right. (Pun intended.)
So many projects, so little time.