How to (or not to) Build a Crate ???

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

dgoddard

How to (or not to) Build a Crate ???

Post by dgoddard »

No local nibbles on my efforts to sell my mill drill Mill Drill Page so I figure to put it on e-bay. That means I will probably have to put it in a crate and ship it to the lucky bidder.

Anybody got any advice or "Lurid Horror Stories" to be learned from?

Yeah! Like is the Pope a Catholic ! Ok, guys I asked for it, what have you got to offer.
CharlesM

Re: How to (or not to) Build a Crate ???

Post by CharlesM »

I can make a few suggestions based on a couple of things I have had shipped to me via motor freight.
I would start out with a heavy duty pallet as a base for the crate and bolt the machine down to the pallet if possible. Use 2" thick lumber for the frame. Make sure you use fasteners that will hold. I received a bandsaw shipped from VA a couple of years ago, and the crate had about fallen apart when I got it. Who ever built it used 2 1/2 " nails which only gave i" of penetration after going through the 2X4's and 2x6's most had pulled out.The crate was being held together by shrink wrap. I would use 3" screws for 2' stock. Put enough bracing to hold the machine in place and all of its parts in place. lower the head all the way down and put a board between the spindle and the table. Be sure the table is locked in all planes. Be sure all knobs, bolts and screws are tight. It might be a good Idea to remove all of the handwheels and pack them in a box inside the crate.
Just keep in mind the machine will be subject to up to several day of shaking and vibration in the back of a semi, There is not much you can do to prevent a wild fork lift operator from running a tine through your crate.

Charles McGough
Sterlington, LA
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

I suggest offering it "Shipping available - crating extra" and be prepared to post or quote a crating price. Another variation on this would be to offer it palletized and delivered (if you have a means of doing that) on the dock at a local freight depot, with or without additional cost.

My suggestion for crating would be to find a common oak pallet, but a good one, and bolt the mill to the pallet and have the whole thing plastic wrapped. Box any loose stuff seperately but securely and attach or strap the box in the mill or to the pallet.

I've shipped a number of machine tools this way. The pallet can be easily handled by a fork lift and the slight oversizing of the pallet creates a "buffer zone" for the machine and prevents stuff from being rammed up against it.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

I agree with the others, but keep this in mind.
Fork lifts will FORK the pallet opening, so don't try to put banding/rope/straps thru this area without protecting them.
I have seem a machine bolted where the forks went, shear the bolts (1/4")
YOU MUST MARK>>IN PLAIN VIEW>>>> "TOP HEAVY"
All claims will be voided if not done .believe me. do not expect the pallet to be picked up with a full lenght fork..they short fork it at times.
ALLOW, for the front boards at each end of the pallet to be destroyed...without the load getting loose. TOO many folks use these outside for support..a No NO because they smash into the boards at 5 MPH in a hurray to load out stuff.
Last, never use nails.. Screw it in.. and if you can get ' GRABBER" screws
Name brand.. I have put them into steel without shearing off the heads
Remember...TOP HEAVY !
gglines

Post by gglines »

To add my .02, make sure nothing can move. If you place smaller items in a cardboard box that can move inside they will work a hole through the box during transport. A truck is a giant vibratory tumbler. Most packing materials crush too easily for heavy metal items - use rolled up cardboard.

Use screws, not nails. Somebody has to be able to take the thing apart on the other end. Completely enclose the mill/drill in a box on the pallet, don't just strap it to a pallet.
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

Get a good sturdy pallet, take the machine off the stand, bolt it to the pallet run carriage bolts from the bottom of the pallet through the boards up through the machine. Put nuts on the top side. (So forklift won't damage the bolts) Reinforce the top of the pallet if necessary with a piece of plywood. Put 2x2 cleats around the machine, build the sides with 1/2" osb or plywood. You might put 2x2's in the corners and around the top. They MIGHT put a crate on top of it! Before putting the lid on, run a 2x4 across the top of the machine and screw it to the sides of the crate. This keeps the machine down on the pallet should it fall over.

Put in your ad a crating cost. Your time and material.

Ebay is a mixed bag. You should search COMPLETED auctions for Mill/Drills to see what they have typically brung in the past before you put it up on eBay.

Have you tried putting in the local paper's classifieds section under Machinery? Much less hassel than going through the crating and the potential headaches of dealing with a damaged machine. The freighter may blame you and not insure it and some freighters won't insure used machinery. Do your homework first.

Best of luck
Marty
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"