1-2-3 blocks

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

pigpen60

1-2-3 blocks

Post by pigpen60 »

what are they generaly used for?
Victor_R

Post by Victor_R »

They are almost always used in set ups for milling or grinding operations. But can be used anywhere you need two equal-in-size raiser blocks. Some can also be bolted together to form a right angle. Even the cheapest ones are quite accurate since they're easy to manufacture.

Victor
"The machines are gaining ground upon us; day by day we are becoming more subservient to them" ~ Samuel Butler (1863)
Jay, Idaho

Post by Jay, Idaho »

When I was an apprentice I also made "half size blocks", 1/2 X 1 X 1 1/2. Made 6 of them and they have been used many times.
Also made some "three quarter blocks", 3/4 X 1 1/2 X 2 1/4 but only 4 of them.
Almost everything that I made was from O-1, hardened and ground. Serving a 4 year apprenticeship at a larger company that encouraged "G-jobs" was a fun time.
Also, the larger size blocks all had large holes in from one end for weight reduction.
Later, I went to 440-C for a lot of tooling.

"Man, without tools, is but a draft animal"
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

I never made any, but the guys who were making them always kept both Shapers, the Horizonal Grinder, and the Bridgeport Mill tied up making them and the rest of us had to come EARLY to get a machine set up and in use before they came piling in after they got off from work at AVCO--! LOL! Those were the good years! Sigh!
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
JimGlass

Post by JimGlass »

The uses for 1-2-3 blocks are endless. I use them when scribing lines with height gage, sometimes for parallels. Bought a pair for $9 and liked them so well I bought another pair.
Jim
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com