Oliver Die Filer

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

icemaker

Oliver Die Filer

Post by icemaker »

I recently finished refurbishing an old Oliver Die Filer that I picked up some time ago. Does anybody know of a source of files for this machine? I have spot checked Ebay, looked on-line, and checked MSC without finding anything. Are the files for these called something other than "die files". Thanks, Bill.
Mike_Henry

Post by Mike_Henry »

They are also known as parallel files. I used to have a fairly wide selection of NOS 8" files but almost all of them are gone now and the ones left are small cross section with fine tooth patterns. Email me if you want to see what's left.

They show up on Ebay from time to time but the frequency seems to have dropped off in the last year or so. There were also two or three manufacturers selling new files but they may have vanished as well. Federal File was one company, I think, and I believe that Oliver stopped selling files a few yeras ago but a phone call might be worth the effort.

Mike
Mike, near Chicago
Mike_Henry

Post by Mike_Henry »

Oops - forgot to mention that you can probably convert standard files to die filing purposes, by grinding down the top pf the file (assuming you want to cut on the downstroke) to a round cross section and use a sleeve to mount on your filer.

Mike
Mike, near Chicago
Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

Yep, Mike about covered it.

http://www.fedfile.com/
Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.
kc6uwx

Post by kc6uwx »

:D
I found about 8 or 9 on ebay 4 months ago , good luck. It took many weeks of watching.

Jim :P
icemaker

Post by icemaker »

Thanks guys. The link to Federal was helpful, I'll give them a call. I have been spot checking Ebay, maybe I'll set up a search with an auto email when a matching listing shows up. Thanks again, Bill