Pedersen Mills, anyone using them?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

dharnell

Pedersen Mills, anyone using them?

Post by dharnell »

Hi,
I purchased a Pedersen PU2 Universal mill last year and I'm starting to get it running. Can't find much info about them online, was wondering if anyone here had one. Would anyone have a manual or a copy of a manual available?

Thanks, Dave
vmil3

Post by vmil3 »

Hi Dave,
I have a Pedersen PU-2 miller and a Instruction & Parts manual,check your private messages for my Email address.
David Powell

Pedersen MIlling Machine.

Post by David Powell »

I have been using a PU 2 as my heavy mill for about 10 years. I bought her from a local high school and had to strip her down to lower the bits into my basement and then reassenble. Mine is a bit worn on the z ways so I always have to make sure I go up about 1/2" on that axis befoer cutting. I drive her with a 1 1/2 horse 220 motor and dont seem to be short of horses, for the work I do. I have a vertical head and a slotter but usually shes used as a horizontal. The V head and slotter are heavy so I have a chain fall above to lift them. The 10 by 50 table is sometimes very handy for those bigger jobs which creep in occasionally.I have easily put a 2" 2flute endmill through 3" plate with only a 1/2" drilled pilot . I havent used her so much since acquiring a small knee mill. but she's ready for action at a moments notice. I believe Pedersen had a good market in Ontario to schools, the dealer was Miller machinery. Regards David Powell.
dharnell

Post by dharnell »

Hi David,

I can't believe that you brought your mill down stairs! How did you get it down the stairs? Do you have any pictures of the move? I didn't think the stairs would be strong enough to support the weight of the mill base.

It's interesting that you and Vmil3 both stated the mills were popular with the schools. I checked with the local school board, KW, to see if they had ever used the mill in the schools and they said no.

I guess it will be worth spending a little more time to fix her up.

Dave Harnell
David Powell

Pedersen Mill.

Post by David Powell »

I borrowed a set of shear legs and took the mill into about 5 main bits. bed, knee, column, base and knee- bed swivel piece.in the garden. I live in a bungalow with a basement so I got into the attic and put a 12' long 4" channel across the rafters over the stairs and arranged a bolt and eye through the ceiling above the stairs. I used my garden tractor to haul the bits, one by one, up on to the deck and rollered and levered them across the kitchen floor and to the stairway, they were then slung from the chain fall and lowered down the stairs being steered by a couple of strong friends, but the weight was on the chains. The bed was slid in through the basement window and very gently slid down some more of the 4" channel which was anchored to the window surround and into a small groove chipped in the concrete floor. When I reassembled her and lifted the lot using the joists under the kitchen to anchor the chain fall my wife said the kitchen floor dropped about 2". Needless to say, I DONT INTEND TO MOVE !, The lad can have the fun of clearing it all up after I,ve gone, I seem to spend half my spare time building him steamers so he can sort it all out himself! I now have a cheap 400lbs electric hoist over the stairs and use it for anything over about 100 lbs, its weird seeing a model loco hanging by its drawbar but a hell of a lot easier than carrying it down. I have been in touch with our other contributor, he was very kind and supplied me with drawings. Incidentally the Pedersen uses Whitworth and BSF threads and nuts in most places. Regards David Powell.
Omaps

Re: Pedersen Mills, anyone using them?

Post by Omaps »

Hi Dave and vmil
I just purchased a PU2. Managed to fix the Y it seems to work reasonably well apart from that but if you could share a copy of the manual it would be much appreciated
Simon
krusty

Re: Pedersen Mills, anyone using them?

Post by krusty »

Do any of you fine fellows have a copy of the manual still? Am looking at one of these machines for home use.
VPExpertMachining

Re:

Post by VPExpertMachining »

vmil3 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:51 am Hi Dave,
I have a Pedersen PU-2 miller and a Instruction & Parts manual,check your private messages for my Email address.
Hi Vmil,

You still have the instructions and parts manual?

Regards,

David
Nigelbre

Re: Re:

Post by Nigelbre »

VPExpertMachining wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:42 pm
vmil3 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:51 am Hi Dave,
Hi Vmil,

You still have the instructions and parts manual?

Regards,

David
Hi did you have any luck?