I've been making some changes......

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Bill Shields

Cannot Pass UP

Post by Bill Shields »

When someone steps out of the crowd with a target on his chest that says 'SHOOT HERE'...

Who am I to pass up such an opportunity?

Harold:

Is the question "does anyone have any idea what you look like" or should it be "does anyone CARE what you look like". :P

Like I said, far be it for me to pass up such a good-natured, golden opportunity.....

Actually, Audrey Jr. from "Little Shop of Horrors" keeps coming to mind, but I know that is probaby a bit extreme.
Canyonman

Post by Canyonman »

Litmus test FAILED
Last edited by Canyonman on Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Charles T. McCullough

Post by Charles T. McCullough »

-
-
-
-
-
Last edited by Charles T. McCullough on Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Shields

Did I Open

Post by Bill Shields »

Pandora's Box?

Must be that time of year...... :D
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

In my mind all older (60 plus years) machinists are big heavy bearded guys. Any hair they still have left is very grey or completely white. The photo of Seal Killer is what I think Harold might look like.

SK and Harold also write similarly as well. SK is a retired dean, probably a Phd, and has obviously written at high levels much of his life. Harold likely doesn't have the academic background of SK but he writes better than many Phds. I bet SK can attest that Harold's writing style ranks up there with the best academics he has worked with.

Since Harold is the leading guru of this forum, I would love to be able to put a face with the name. I would be shocked if he looks like Jose Rivera. Jose looks way too young for the experience he has.

So Harold, please create a current photo avatar to go with all your posts.
Bill
spro

unopened

Post by spro »

Back to New. New is what it is. Gifts are what they are and perhaps wrapped with others personalities. I cannot unravel their ribbons nor see the white light radiating from the eyes. I cannot know all these eyes or strands between them .
Bill Shields

Resembelence

Post by Bill Shields »

Hey...easy on the big and heavy....

Yes, I have a beard, but I am within 15# of where I was in high school...
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Canyonman wrote:Well, in the dealings I've had with HaroldV;

I figure He looks:........................................

Like the South End of a Northbound Mule. :shock:

But don't piss him off! :roll:

He will threaten to Ban you, Backchannel. :evil:

Been There, Done That, Awaiting the "T" shirt. :twisted:

Ken
I see you are still suffering with your interminable childhood.

Banishment is very much a part of what you can expect if you are rude to readers. This forum is not RCM.

You were cautioned privately previously----now you are cautioned publicly. Behave----or I will request you be removed from the board.

Harold
Corm

Post by Corm »

Harold, I'd also like to see a picture of you.

My Dad was a toolmaker for over 40 years. He is 6'2", 190 lbs. His best friend was also a toolmaker for many years, and he is 5'5", and 130 lbs. So, I have no pre-conceived notions of what you might look like. I would tend to go along with bsmith's version of what you are like. If I had to guess what you look like, I'd say something like Fred Thompson... :)

Corm
Flybynight

Post by Flybynight »

Corm wrote:Harold, I'd also like to see a picture of you.

My Dad was a toolmaker for over 40 years. He is 6'2", 190 lbs. His best friend was also a toolmaker for many years, and he is 5'5", and 130 lbs. So, I have no pre-conceived notions of what you might look like. I would tend to go along with bsmith's version of what you are like. If I had to guess what you look like, I'd say something like Fred Thompson... :)

Corm
You meen Flintstone?

Sorry couldn't resist.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Bill--
The photo of Seal Killer is what I think Harold might look like. (And some other stuff about writing.)

What a TREMENDOUS compliment! Thank you!

Yes, I lived in the PhD world. It sucked. I edited and proofed and FIXED many PhD thesis. Humbly, I am more than just a good writer . . . I am very, very good, certainly the best in my (former) institution. (Hey! They really are "institutions" and they are run by the inmates!)

I have written countless pieces. Many of those have been published on a national basis, some in my field, computing, and some in my "grown into field", administration.

I analyze each and every post I read on this and EVERY forum which I inhabit. (It's a habit: You are what you write.) Without any doubt, Harold is the best writer I have encountered, both in higher education and the Internet. Harold misplaces a comma now and then and I am not sure he knows the rules regarding ending punctuation and closing quote OR semi-colons and colons. But, who the hell DOES???

It is obvious to me that Harold proofs what he writes before he publishes. This is extremely important and very simple, yet few proof prior to publication. (Just read it, at least once! I've read this one about ten times fixing all the errors. For instance, I can't speel.)

I had an English professor working for me. One of his jobs was to teach me the proper use of the closing-quote, semi-colon, and colon use! (I think I learned.)

By the way, Harold writes better than anyone in my former institution with the possible exception of me. (And, a few of them were very, very good.)

It is an honor to be compared to him intellectually. Truly.

Merry Chirstmas!

--Bill
You are what you write.
Canyonman

Post by Canyonman »

Looks different in the Light eh God. Amen
Last edited by Canyonman on Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.