Hand Knurlers

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

dpantazis

Hand Knurlers

Post by dpantazis »

Can anyone offer any advice on the use of hand knurlers? Like the Eagle Rock one.

Would you use it on a lathe under power or only by hand?

thanks
Jose Rivera

Knurler

Post by Jose Rivera »

I've never used a hand one but my guess is that as long as you can keep it from wiping and not holding by hand may be OK.

Have you dome Knurling before?
Bare in mind that is a low speed operation and one has to have patience to get a nice clean diamond pattern, plus use cutting oil in order to get a good finish.

I always thought that hand knurling tools are for use when there is no lathe available.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

They are also real useful on small flexible parts that don't knurl well in thelathe becuae they push away... think about a small diameter brass punch.

If you want to use a captive knurling setup like this on the lahte, you are probably better off getting one designed for the lathe. Using the hand knurler on the lathe would be like trying to use a tap handle to power tap. Either you or something else is probably going to get broken.
18x72 L&S, Fosdick 3ft radial, Van Norman 2G bridgemill, Van Norman #12, K. O. Lee T&C grinder, Steptoe-Western 12X universal HS shaper, 16spd benchtop DP, Grob band filer, South Bend 10L
Old Biker UK

Post by Old Biker UK »

Quite a bit about knurls & knurling here. Scroll down on page 2 & there are some pics of hand knurling tools.
Mark
tpulley

knurling

Post by tpulley »

With smaller parts you'd bebetter off coming in from the front of the aprt and knurling that way. Side knurling will not only break the parts off but can cause concentricity issues.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

How about just hand-rolling the part under a single-cut file, on top of a piece of wood or plastic that won't mark it?
Pete in NJ
kenh

Post by kenh »

I've used a hand knurler on drill rod, came out pretty good.
(Utilizing a jeweler's lathe so options were very limited)