Gear Head Oil

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

LpGibson

Gear Head Oil

Post by LpGibson »

Hello everyone. I am new here and i have a question about the oil for the gear head in my craftex 10x18 metal lathe. They recommend # 10 machine oil for use in the gear head. I don't seem to be able to find it locally so i was wondering what a good equivalent would be. Thanks ... Fred .. Bloomfield.Ontario. Canada
Jose Rivera

Oil

Post by Jose Rivera »

Not cheap! http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q= ... 1&ie=UTF-8

In last resort I would use Castrol 5-20 motor oil.
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

An ISO60 to 68 hydraulic oil, such as Chevron-AW, makes a superb machine gear oil and it can be bought at just about any Farm & Home or industrial supplier like Grainger. This is the oil that is used in the hydraulic systems of equipment like tractors, cranes, dozers, fork lifts, etc. It's equivalent (Shell Tellus) was specified for both the headstock and apron of my Harrison lathe and I've used it for 25 years in the Harrison and all my other machines with complete satisfaction.
Last edited by gwrdriver on Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
LpGibson

Post by LpGibson »

Thanks for the info guy's. Looks like i won't be buying any of that 10 weight $$$$$ lol. I guess i will go shopping tomorow and see what i can find. Thanks again for your help... Fred
Bill Shields

oil

Post by Bill Shields »

depending on availability, you can also use 10w motorcycle fork oil....which is very similar to the Tellus that Harry describes...in fact, BMW specifies the Tellus for their front forks (used to)....

It will probably be a bit more expensive than from Grainger's, but depending on how much you need.

Please DON'T use motor oil. Yes, it is oil, but the rest of the junk in there you DON'T need in a lathe.
Harold_V

Re: oil

Post by Harold_V »

Bill Shields wrote:Please DON'T use motor oil. Yes, it is oil, but the rest of the junk in there you DON'T need in a lathe.
The exception, of course, is to use a non-detergent. It's actually one of the recommended oils for the compressor I own.

Harold
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Wal Mart has a straight mineral oil in 30wt that seems to work real well on bearing parts and such. It has a graphic of a model T on the label. Non-detergent, non additive, just oil. I use it in on my old machines a lot.

There are two ways to remove contaminates from oils.... filtering or settling. Problem with running automotive motor oils in machines is that the detergents suspend any grit particles so the filter can remove them. Machines generally don't have filters, so the goo just gets recycled through moving parts. Non-detergent oils allow the contaminates to settle out when the machine is idle. Now your contaminates are laying in the bottom of the gearbox where they are harmless.

There are also a lot of additives to combat combustion byproducts and viscosity modifers to allow the oil to flow the same at different temperatures. All these chemicals do nothing to improve the overall lubrication qualities of the oil.
18x72 L&S, Fosdick 3ft radial, Van Norman 2G bridgemill, Van Norman #12, K. O. Lee T&C grinder, Steptoe-Western 12X universal HS shaper, 16spd benchtop DP, Grob band filer, South Bend 10L
nortly

gear oil

Post by nortly »

you can use a ISO grade 32 most tractor dealerships stock it. Its used for hydraulic systems and industrial gear reducers. It's not a good idea to use multigrade automotive engine oil, the additive packages in it can do weird things inside the gearhead.
JimGlass

Post by JimGlass »

In the Mid-West we have Farm & Fleet stores and they have 10w oil. Try a farm supply store.

Avoid multi-grade oils. They have additives that are not necessarily good lubricants.

I use turbine oil in my JET geared head lathe and buy it from
McMaster-Carr.

My JET mill uses 10Wt so I have plenty on hand.

In sunny, freezing cold Florida

Jim
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

The Grizzly equivalents to your lathe call for ISO 68 type oil. Mobil DTE is one, Chevron Rando is another (I found locally in an automotive supply store). If you live near a Princess Auto store they sell ISO 68 in liter, 4 liter and 20 liter sizes at a good price (that would be cheap. :) )

Pete