VFD Help

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

dmerd

VFD Help

Post by dmerd »

Hi,
I a just learning about vfds and looking for some opinions.
I have a 17" Rockwell drill press with a 1hp 3 phase motor and would like to install a vfd. I am looking a Teco FM50.
I am also in the process of making a 12" disc sander with 1-1/2 hp 3ph 3450 rpm motor on it also. Looking to use a Teco FM50 on it also.
Will these do the job for me or do I need something else? I want to install a pot and start stop reverse switch also.
Thanks,
Dave
Last edited by dmerd on Sat May 10, 2008 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
rohamm

good choice

Post by rohamm »

IIRC the difference between the fm50 and the fm100 is the latter includes the speed control pot. For the difference in price, is it really worthwhile setting up a remote operator panel?

If you're considering a legal installation with the unit in a large enough metal enclosure, which also protects it from chips, then the remote panel is kind of a must. But those of us who never invite electrical inspectors to our shops just hang the unit right on the machine and go for the included operator panel.
Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

Which TECO FM 50, there are a few.

I see they are quite reasonable here;

http://www.factorymation.com/s.nl/it.A/id.193/.f

And you can download the Specs. and Owners Manual at that site which should answer you questions.
Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.
dmerd

Post by dmerd »

Hi,
I am taking rohamm's advise and looking at the Teco FM100-202-N1 and also Hatachi L200-015NFU2 or X200-015NFU1. Any one know the difference in the L200 and the X200? I downloaded the manuals but don't understand a lot of the lingo. Just want it simple. Forward, reverse and adjustable speed for now. I don't know if I need a brake or not.
Thanks,
Dave
Dave
JimGlass

Post by JimGlass »

Ya know, this just shows me ya learn something new every day. I had no ideal a VFD could take 120V single phase and run a 230V 3-phase motor. Learned that by reading the specs on Teco50.

I'm fairly sure I have the TEC0100 because it has the speed pot. I took me 3 years before I new the speed pot was already there. I was about to wire up a speed pot and the manual said the little black knob was a speed pot. The Teco 100 needed to be programmed to activate the speed pot.

This old drillpress with the Teco 100 VFD is a geat setup. Electrically variable speed and reversable from a foot switch for tapping. The drive belt is used only when more power or speed is required. Had the Teco VFD for 6 years now and love the thing. It came from Dealer Electric and paid $180 for it back in 02
Jim
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Depending on logistic, it is possible to share one VFD among several mchines.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Bill Shields

vfd

Post by Bill Shields »

sharing a VFD must be done very carefully.

most of the drives are set up for specific size motor, and if you change motors, some require reprogramming.

Also, you generally DON'T want to disconnect the VFD from the motor with power on - so if you share, you need to have the control located so that you can get at it for all machines.

In general, I would say that sharing a drive amongst multiple motors is possible, but annoying to implement.

Brakes really aren't needed unless you have an application that needs quick start / stop for one reason or another.

Having a brake on a lathe can be really nice - if the transmission (belts) can handle the reverse torque - most flat belt drives have problems with rapid braking - tends to pop the belts off. V-belts and gears are generally OK.
Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

JimGlass wrote:Ya know, this just shows me ya learn something new every day. I had no ideal a VFD could take 120V single phase and run a 230V 3-phase motor. Learned that by reading the specs on Teco50.
Jim maybe you want to add this to the learning curve. There are also 220 single phase capable input VFD's with 480 3 phase output and I run one wood lathe I have (5 or 6 years now) with a 115 volt single phase input VFD that puts out 115 volt 3 phase to a 115 volt 3 phase 1 HP inverter matched motor.
Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.
dmerd

Post by dmerd »

Thanks everyone for the advise. Factorymation.com is out of stock on the FM100 vfds.
Anyone know the difference in the Hatachi L200-015NFU2 and the X200-015NFU1?
Thanks,
Dave
Dave
JimGlass

Post by JimGlass »

you generally DON'T want to disconnect the VFD from the motor with power on
I didn't know that either :roll: Sometimes I stop the drillpress with the original ON/OFF switch for a quick tool change. :? I'll stop doing that.

I know this also applies to steppermotors

Jim
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com
brent

Post by brent »

Dave, check with dealers electric http://www.dealerselectric.com/

I've purchased a couple teco 100's from them.
brent
Bill Shields

Disconnect

Post by Bill Shields »

Generally, it is not a good idea to cut the cable between the drive and the motor when the motor is spinning.

While this often goes unsaid, take a look at any of the provided schematics and see if there is a switch shown anywhere between the VFD and the motor.

I know one fellow on another board who went through several drive units because he was interrupting the circuit, and every time he did, he blew up the drive.

Some are better than others about handling the 'disconnect' - some totally intolerant. Sorry, I don't know which is which - since I don't recommend disconnecting any of them under load.