Photographing Setups & Processes

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: Harold_V, websterz, GlennW

applescotty

Post by applescotty » Thu May 29, 2008 9:01 am

seal killer wrote: My wife suggested Picasa. It is free. She said it is dirt easy to use. You can download it off the Internet. She will install it for me.

I think I will try it.

--Bill
Bill,

I use Picasa, and I love it. I've still got Photoshop for when I need to do heavier editing, but for almost all my stuff, Picasa works great. It can handle copying the files off my storage car, lightening, darkening, sharpening, cropping, and also interfaces really well with email programs, online photoservices, and online photo sharing sites.

Scott

dgoddard

Re: It's Free

Post by dgoddard » Thu May 29, 2008 5:27 pm

DrDavo wrote:There is a program on the net that you can download for free. It is called "Irfanview"
It does nothing but resize and adjust pictures. It works great and it is simple.
Dave
Actually it does some other very valuable things that no other image processing software I have encountered does. It converts file formats. For what may be copyright reasons, several image editors won't convert to or from or even read certain other file formats. Irfanview however seems to read and write them all. I suppose it has something to do with being free. It is also very handy for viewing photos in directories as it comes with a companion program called "Irfanview Thumbnails" It will display as a thumbnail image files that lack thumbnail information. Then if you click on them they open in Irfanview. It is very handy, and hard to beat at the price :D

BadDog

Post by BadDog » Thu May 29, 2008 5:46 pm

Paint Shop Pro has done all that (and a great deal more) for many years. Most any reasonably capable image editor program (at or above share-ware grade anyway) should also be able to do all of that. Of course, that's not "free", but you can get older (pre sell-out) versions for free on the net. The latest was V7 if I recall correctly.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper

dgoddard

Post by dgoddard » Thu May 29, 2008 10:44 pm

BadDog wrote:.... Most any reasonably capable image editor program (at or above share-ware grade anyway) should also be able to do all of that. ...
I believe you are right about that. I suspect that, with the ones you pay for, part of what you are paying for is the royalty that one company has to pay another for access to their proprietary file format and the algorithms to interpret it. I know that I got a copy of Photoshop LE (lite edition) free with a scanner I bought. I still use it but it simply cannot do anything with a gif file format. So I use Irfanview to get back and forth to gif when needed.

It is not that i am just cheap (well a little maybe) but the problem is that I get really irritable when someone purports to "give" me software when their real intent is to get me hooked on their particular interface and then wants to sell me over priced versions that somehow go out of date and I need to buy upgrades over and over again. And their upgrades are rarely significant improvements, often don't fix old bugs and add new bugs and their promised technical support is less useful than raw organic fertilizer.*

--------------
* I think Bill Gates caught that malady from IBM but it mutated into a virulent plague form that has spread to many other software companies. I love the GPL approach of Linux
:D :D :D

BadDog

Post by BadDog » Fri May 30, 2008 12:03 am

Yeah, GIF is an odd-ball due to the Unisys/LZW licensing fiasco. Talk about draconian MBA garbage, you would be hard pressed to find worse. But pretty much all other file formats (in general use) are "free use" and/or "public domain" formats. PNG and JPG being among the front runners on the web.

Anyway, I had a link sometime back where you could download PSP 7.0 (IIRC) with free license (not stolen/pirated/hacked). If you can find that version, it is actually far better than subsequent versions and will do 99% stuff Photo Shop will do (and 100% of the commonly used stuff). And even the bloat-ware post-Corel version is better than Adobe in my book, plus available for less than $100...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper