Vortex canister design

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

DAVE_Lossner

Post by DAVE_Lossner »

If you look in one of the wood tool catalog sites they have special lids to fit 5 gal paint buckets to convert them to a separator stagefor a shop vac. The inlet and outlet ports are angled to impart a centrifical motion to the flow.
hybidder

Post by hybidder »

I like the drum/ barrel/ bucket idea. I was thinking about something similar but using 2 barrels (more volume = more settling time for dust?) and adding a cheap central air type filter.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

No, filters are filters, and a separator separates. Filters clog and must be cleaned or changed. Separators just get full.

In the cyclone style I have been told a hardware cloth at midlevel really helps to keep small particles from blowing out. Shaped like a shallow cone toward the center outlet it allows particles to fall through into a quiet air zone and fall to the bottom . In my case with wood sawdust it is a half inch variety. Obviously it wont work for the planer as the chips are large, but then I just remove the screen and I am ready to go. There is vitually no sawdust in planer chips, just some fuzz.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
jpfalt

Use an oiled foam prefilter

Post by jpfalt »

As discussed above, the strategy to extend filter life is to remove as much dust and debris as possible before it hits the final filter.

Where I work, we have the same problems with air filters in small engine applications. One of the most effective ways to extend filter system life is to use an oiled foam prefilter. The foam openings are huge compared to the dust particles that are collected. With an oiled foam prefilter, the dust sticks to the oil as it passes through the foam, but the openings are large enough that effective life of the filter is quite long. The oil wets the dust particle and the particle becomes the new collecting surface. When the foam prefilter finally clogs, you wash it with detergent, re-oil and start over.

Typically mixing oil, saw bar oil or engine oil work on the filter, but in situations where use of mineral oil is environmentally bad, I have seen non-drying vegetable oils, such as peanut or olive oil used to oil the filter.