5C Spin Indexer

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

seal killer

5C Spin Indexer

Post by seal killer »

All--

Does a V/H RT have the ability to emulate the functions of a V/H 5C spin indexer if you add dividing plates and . . . ? (I have yet to use my neat, 10" Phase II RT.)

Or, will the V/H 5C spin indexer give me abilities I now lack, such as sharpening end mills?

I do a lot of work--or WOULD do a lot of work--with objects milled at an angle. The RT gives me a lot of space for clamping. The spin indexer gives me something much lighter, but would not have the versatility of my RT. (Forgive me if I have the totally wrong impression.)

Thanks for contemplating this ignorant question.

Merry Christmas!

--Bill
You are what you write.
toastydeath

Post by toastydeath »

Spin indexers only lock in every 15 degrees or so. No free spinning, so no endmill sharpening/etc. The rotary table is far more versatile overall, and can do everything the 5c can do but slower.

I prefer working with a spin indexer if possible, just for the speed. However, if I had to only have one, I'd pick the R/T so I wouldn't lose versatility. Speed is no good if you can't do the work in the first place.

Bolting a chuck to the R/T, or a 5C block, is how I'd go about emulating a spin indexer.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Small point, but "5C spin indexer" (or "spindexer" for short) is generally regarded to be the horizontal 5C holder that will index by whole degrees. The V/H model that indexes by 15* is generally called a "5C indexer".

I have both a Yuasa (and a cheap import) Spindexer and a Hardinge 5C lever actuated indexer. Both have their place, as does the rotab and the "spacer" (aka "indexer" which is like an 15* indexer mated with a rotab). The Spindexer is a little light for most milling, but you can pin the plate and make do. I've remilled several welded up face mills using one modified like this. My little Hartford 6" indexer table also gets a fairly frequent workout, and they are relatively cheap. Haven't really had much call for the Hardinge lever closer, but one day I will need 15* indexing when the Hartford will be too bulky and in the way, then I'll use it! :D But the most common thing I use for indexing is the cheap little 5C blocks. Vast majority of indexing is within the range of the square and hex blocks, very easy to setup in the vise with a stop and GO!
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

toastydeath and BadDog--

Well, I suppose I could have both, but I definitely want dividing plates for my 10" Phase II . . . and a backing plate and an 8" chuck and a tail stock.

So, I am thinking I will flesh the RT out unless some emergency arises that forces me to buy a 5c spin indexer.

Gee. I hope that doesn't happen!

Thank you both and Merry Christmas!

--Bill
You are what you write.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Bill,

Check my post with pics here when you previously asked a similar question.

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 4&start=30
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
mechanicalmagic

Post by mechanicalmagic »

Bill,
On page 657 of the Grizzly catalog:
http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2008/Main/657

At the top, is a set of collets with a Morse taper, that probably fits the center hole of your rotab. Advantage of a collet is that they are usually quite accurate.

Bottom left is a Spin Index, goes in 1* increments, you must buy a set of 5C collets, or a chuck with a 5C mount, as shown by part H271?. Disadvantage of a chuck is that they are rarely accurate. Advantage of a chuck is the ability to hold a wide range of sizes. Four jaw chucks are available with 5C mounts.

Other types of Indexers are also shown, each has it's strengths.

On page 653, you will find other options:
http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2008/Main/653

The Super Spacer (H7506) can be a savior or an anchor, depending on your work.
On the same page are index plates, that might fit your 10" rotab.

Given the limitations of space and resources, you probably can't have them all.

A spindex can be used on a tool and cutter grinder to sharpen end mills. I think a lathe would be a better choice for the next large tool purchase.

Dave J.
Every day I ask myself, "What's the most fun thing to do today."
9x48 BP clone, 12x36 lathe, TIG, MIG, Gas, 3 in 1 sheetmetal.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Glenn--

Glenn, those pictures are a whole FOUR DAYS OLD! I had forgotten them! :) Thank you very much for posting them again.

Dave and Glenn, I was under the impression that the 5c equipment Glenn has was designed that way on purpose. I did not know that you could not purchase spin indexers that would allow you index and mill at every degree.

Dave, Enco has the Phase II backing plate and 8" chuck I need for my RT. In fact, they have the tail stock, as well as the dividing plates.

Gotta think.

Thank both of you very much and Merry Christmas!

--Bill
ps I will be asking more questions!
You are what you write.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

You're quite welcome Bill!

I had the feeling you had missed that reply :wink:
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

toastydeath wrote:Spin indexers only lock in every 15 degrees or so. No free spinning, so no endmill sharpening/etc.
Spin Indexers lock every 1° and spin...hence the name!

I have a 5C Collet Indexer that will spin also.

Since we're on the subject...

Other than double the price and another lever, does anyone know the actual difference between a "two lever" and a "three lever" 5C Collet Indexer. Mine is a three, but I've never used a two to determine what function is missing.

Maybe the three lever spins :)

Thanks!
Last edited by GlennW on Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn

seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Glenn--

One of the big drawbacks of this forum software is that pictures are not visible unless you log in. When a person indicates that one should look at the picture below and there is nothing there, one thinks that they screwed up when, in reality, the forum software is the problem.

Another thing . . . the only way I can successfully log in is as if I want to either start a new thread or reply to an existing one. For me, no other log in is possible. For example, I would like to be able to hit the site, log in using the log in utility and be happy. Failing that, I would like to go to one of the "areas" (usually General Discussion for me), log in and be happy.

However, when I do either one, I am never logged in; can't see pictures, can't post replies, and can't start new threads.

Is it me, or have others experienced similar issues?

I have had several database corruption issues which Harold and Marty and someone else have very kindly solved for me time and again. That problem seems to have finally disappeared. I am just wondering if the log in issue is specific to me or experienced by others, as well.

In any event, it is all worth it. For me, this is the most valuable place in cyber-space.

Merry Christmas!

--Bill
You are what you write.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Hmmm,

Could it possibly be OS or Browser issues?

I use Win XP Pro and Internet Explorer 7 and can either log in each visit, not log in, or stay logged in and come and go as I please. I believe that when I am not logged in, I can see images that are web hosted, but not ones that are site hosted.

I'll have to check that though.

Yep, that's how it works :)

Thanks!
Glenn

seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Glenn--

I can see images that are web hosted without logging in. You can do all the things I would like to do. I probably should move from this ancient laptop to my new one that I reserve exclusively for robotics work. Hitting a web site wouldn't hurt anything.

Thanks for the information.

--Bill
You are what you write.