Dial test indicators

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

abarton wrote:I understand. But when I sweep the DTI over the mill table surface in a 8" diameter arc, I cringe every time the probe tip drops into a T-slot. I don't have any idea how much abuse my little DTI can take, bouncing in and out of the slots.
Yep, I share your concern. If you don't have a setup that permits mounting the indicator such that the tip trails off the slots at a right angle, set the indicator so it has just barely picked up the table surface. As the head approaches a true condition, it need make contact by only a thou. Then, when you rotate past the slots, do it slowly. Use the largest ball tip you have for the DTI, assuming you have choices. I think you'll find it will work perfectly well, assuming you have a decent DTI. I have always used a B&S BesTest, and almost always mount the indicator in the less than desirable orientation. Works fine! :wink:
I recently went over the table surface with a 6" stone. I did find a few small dings and got them smoothed out to where I couldn't feel them through the stone any more. Is that as good as draw filing?
Not in my opinion. I don't recommend the use of a stone, nor do I recommend the use of a new file. Both of them will remove metal where they shouldn't. By drawing the file with your palms as I suggested, and using one that has seen service (or one prepared as advised by JTiers), it won't be sharp enough to cut large surfaces, skating on them instead. When the slightest hump is encountered, the file will remove the top without removing any of the base metal, which should by your objective. A stone will remove metal anywhere it makes contact, albeit a tiny amount. Given a few years of that practice, you could materially effect the table surface.

I have used the draw file method I suggested on the BP mill I currently own, which was purchased new in '77. The flaking on the table is equally bold and visible over the entire table surface. That likely would not have been the case had I used a stone.

Harold
spro

tram

Post by spro »

This was a quick tram for the head.. The picture was misleading as that little handle at lower right may look.....anyway it was in a collet and was able to make a sweep around an area the vice would sit. These newer brake lathes have two cutters doing opposite faces simultaneous. When many are done i would expect they are in near perfect relation to each other but the Final thickness of the rotor is not in "Spec" . Very good items like this are to be in dumpsters behind brake and muffler shops. I don't think this was presented as an alternative to "machine tool realignment".
spro

de tram

Post by spro »

See, I shouldn't have touched this.