The Homeboy Compound Sine Plate

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

HotGuns

The Homeboy Compound Sine Plate

Post by HotGuns »

A few months ago I started a thread about building a compound sine plate to do various things, I figured it could come in handy. A search on Ebay produced ones that were either too big or too little, so I decided to make one.

A compound sine plate isnt something that gets used just a whole lot, but when you need it, it's about the only thing that will do the job.

Using one at work for a rough pattern, I pretty much duplicated it but on a smaller scale. The top plate is 12 inches long and the whole thing weights about 75 pounds. The one that I use at work is a 24" incher and weights about 200, not something that you'll just pickup and casually move around.

I figure most of its life will be used for making Bowie Knifes, doing decorotive work on the milling machine. This will eliminate a lot of setup time and give me just about any angle I could hope to need.

Here are a couple of pictures, not the best as one of my lights in the shop was out. It took me awhile to build it, most of the time is spent in grinding. It came out very well I think. Since everything in my shop rusts when I look at it, the incosistency that you see on the finish is from a rust preventative, LPS3 that I put on it. It dries and leaves a waxy finish that dosent photograph well.

Here is a picture of it in various angles.It'll go about 48 one way and 92 the other way...plenty for my needs.
Bob
pete

Post by pete »

HotGuns, Very nice job and a huge saving in cash, A commercial one of that size is worth a lot of coin. I'm impressed.

Pete
JimGlass

Post by JimGlass »

Looks great

Jim
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com
michael3fingers

Post by michael3fingers »

would you happen to have any photos of it in pieces so I can see how it goes together?
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Very nice Bob!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Bob--

What kind of steel did you use?

I would love to see disassembled pictures, as well.

--Bill
You are what you write.
HotGuns

Post by HotGuns »

517 Grade 70.

I'll try to takes some pictures of it taken apart in the next day or two.

Not much to it really, it's just a precision hinged plate.
Bob