Weight Difference Between Rotary Tables

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

seal killer

Post by seal killer »

SteveHGraham--

If you've "got it", please tell me. I am wondering the same thing.

Thanks!

--Bill
You are what you write.
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

Steve, my advise is to get a firm mind print on what would be the largest parts that you would feel like machining.

This way you can put a limit on the type and size of tooling that you need.

My limit is a 10 X 10 X 10 envelop.
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Bill, it looks like Phase II makes a special plate to mount their chucks to their tables. I contacted them today to see if it works with their 4-jaw chuck. Waiting for an answer. Maybe I am making trouble for myself, using a 4-jaw where most people use a 3-jaw.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Bill Shields

Jaws

Post by Bill Shields »

nice thing about a 4 jaw is that you can hold / center most anything

the bad thing is that you will have to center it.

Depends on what your target is and how long you want to get there.

a 'speedy spacer' with a 3 jaw is a good marriage for that level of work.
lakeside53

Post by lakeside53 »

SteveHGraham wrote:I have room for a hoist. A cart would be a problem.

A cart can be used for so much more than a hoist..... I have three carts, one hydraulic lift, one hoist... Hoist rarely gets used.
Last edited by lakeside53 on Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
mechanicalmagic

Post by mechanicalmagic »

Steve,
What do you want to make with the rotary table?
(Size and shape).

A rotab is one thing that most folks THINK they must have. But it spends most of the time on the shelf. There are many other creative ways to do things.

If you don't know why you need a tool, but want it anyway:
Welcome to Tool Whores Anonymous, (TWA).
We have a 12 step program, (most of them require buying tools for machines we don't even own.)

Dave J.
Every day I ask myself, "What's the most fun thing to do today."
9x48 BP clone, 12x36 lathe, TIG, MIG, Gas, 3 in 1 sheetmetal.
kvom

Post by kvom »

Steve,

I was looking at the 8" PhaseII H/V RT from Enco as well. Since they apparently won't ship UPS via the free shipping deals, can you tell me what they quoted you for truck shipment?

I think the center hole is an MT-3 taper. If you get a 3-jaw chuck with a MT-3 shank and 2-piece jaws, then you can make softjaws and bore them to fit your part, which will then register perfectly.

Here is a supplier of aluminum plates that can be used if the RT is too small for a given job. I have heard several people using these for that purpose very satisfactorilly. http://www.sandsmachine.com/alumweb.htm

Personally I would not buy the tailstock or indexing plates until you need them.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Thanks for the advice on chucks.

I have not placed my order, so I don't know what Enco will charge for shipping. When I ordered my vise, they were having a free-shipping deal, and even though it went by truck, I didn't get charged.
kvom

Post by kvom »

I called Enco, and they would charge $75 for truck shipping; no option for a freebie deal. :(

Let me know if you have better luck.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Those punks!

Penn Tool has it, I think.
Black_Moons

Post by Black_Moons »

Yea. last I tryed enco (que rant) the (#@% would'nt ship ANY rotary tables, not even the 4" rotary table by UPS even though it was well under UPS'es limit because they said 'due to high damage claims...' Aka, 'durrr we don't know how to package a rotary table without it being loose in the box and the handle smashing off when UPS lays it on its side'

Same with most other expensive heavy objects. And they won't ship freight to canada without me using some godawful freight forwarding service that probley costs an arm and a leg. I even tryed e-mailing a couple of those services they recommended me to for quotes and none of em even replyed. *(&#@*(&*(&@(*&@%*(&@#*(%&@(#*&@)#*. (<- keyboard glitch, honest)

None of thier 'free' shiping offers count for canada, or freight shipment afaik. I had an ebay deal I did awhile ago that someone had an AMAZEING CONSEPT for canadians!
Free USA shiping...
Canadians pay actualy canadian shiping cost - TYPICAL USA SHIPING COST... so we still get the equivilent of 'free USA shiping' savings, insted of just getting left out in the cold.

Long story short:
American companys often make me feel like a 3rd world citizen, and the lack of good large online canadian companys doesnt help much.
kvom

Post by kvom »

I, at least, got some good news on the topic. I contacted the local MSC outlet and asked if they would sell the Phase II 8" H/V RT for the Enco sale price. A few emails later and a call to their cal center, and I have one ordered for pickup on Monday.

I have to drive about 70 miles r/t, which will cost me about $12 in fuel.