Goodbye.

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Black_Moons

Goodbye.

Post by Black_Moons »

well Id like to take this chance to say goodbye, since im sick of harold threatening to ban me for saying common everyday phrases that nobody actualy objects to, i'll just leave of my own accord.

If anyone has any suggestions for other forums I could go to that allow the same level of mature adult talk featured in PG rated movies, i'm all ears.
Harold_V

Re: Goodbye.

Post by Harold_V »

Black_Moons wrote:well Id like to take this chance to say goodbye, since im sick of harold threatening to ban me for saying common everyday phrases that nobody actualy objects to, i'll just leave of my own accord.
Sorry to see you leave, but the forum has no tolerance for less than polite language. The vast majority of these people can state their positions without the use of profanity or vulgar terms, and they expect the same in return. If I am wrong, this is a perfect opportunity for readers to express their views, and I welcome comments.

I can police the forum, keeping things on a polite basis, or it can be allowed to deteriorate to the point where contributing readers get sick of the foul language and accompanying acrimony and leave. Said another way, the monkeys are then in charge of the zoo. That is against the principles on which this forum was founded. It is open to any and all participants, but they are expected to be on their best behavior. Were that the case, I'd have no need to complain, now would I receive complaints from readers.

If you feel you can comply with the requirements of the board, feel free to return if that be your choice.

Harold
Black_Moons

Post by Black_Moons »

Harold, you don't police the forum, you provide the service of a script sware filter without the 100% effectiveness. Humans 'moderate' forums because they can tell the diffrence beween a term being used offensively, and a term being used.. in a thousand other non offensive ways. Id be all in favor of an automatic filter that just happened to include not so naughty words, But a human pretending to be a script is just silly and ineffective.

PS: Who moderates the moderators to insure they comply to ABSOLUTE POLITENESS? And what punishment does a mod recive when they repeatly swear even though they know better?

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... c&start=46 <- just the other day...
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... c&start=60
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... c&start=26
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... c&start=54
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... c&start=14
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 3&start=25
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... c&start=11
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I am not immune to the same policy, and have made an adjustment to my error. I thank you for bringing it to my attention, regards the recent post.

As far as the balance of my posts are concerned, the policy of improving the overall language of the board is a recent push-----with none of us exempt. I am able to post without vulgarity or profanity. Are you?

I have to my credit over 5,000 posts. Many of them extensive. Even before the policy of language was put if effect, you have provided seven examples of words that are not acceptable (but far from horrible, if I must say so myself). That's less than .02%. I have cautioned you twice in the last week. I'll stand in the corner for a couple hours for my mess-up. How about you?

Harold
Carm

Post by Carm »

My two cents, rethink leaving. You make contributions here. Your language doesn't offend ME, it is typical of people working trades. A little salt and earth.
But understand that your U.S. citizen free speech rights don't extend to moderated forums that in the main, state such limits and which one complies with when joining. Trying to push the edge usually doesn't end well.
There's a peaceful demeanor here, Harold no doubt gets credit for its management. Other forums that have broader range are often full of flaming and lack of civility.
So maybe tone it down a bit. Just as there are many ways to divest a feline of its fur, other verbiage is possible when stating a view that won't offend stated limits.
bigsaxdog

Post by bigsaxdog »

i read that 'practical machinist' forum too. you can't say anything there w/o someone talking smack. don't get me wrong, i can run the smack w/the best, but sometimes it can get in the way.....i do appreciate the scholarly tone of this forum, it goes good for people like me that don't know their general arse from their elbow, and ask questions that would be ridiculously simple for the pros. good teachers enjoy helping, and that ain't always too easy to find in the world today.....
Bill Shields

Language

Post by Bill Shields »

I see / hear enough garbage on the TV and radio without having to read it on the forum.

If people cannot express themselves in polite, non-vulgar terms, then perhaps they should learn to, or confine their written / oral communications to areas / groups where such is accepted.

I do not believe that a place such as this forum is a place where it should be accepted.

Personal opinion - this is one of the things wrong with this country, everyone thinks that it is their 'right' to express themselves in whatever manner they choose, no matter how offensive to some - or any.

It is also our right to not have to listen to (read it).
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Black_Moons--

Give us and you another chance. I certainly enjoy your expertise and wit and willingness to help.

--Bill
You are what you write.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

If I haven't had problems with Harold's policy, ANYONE can survive here. Don't give up so easy.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
CarlD

Post by CarlD »

Personally I see nothing wrong with a damn or hell once in a while to make a point but that is as much as I want to see in print. I may say a more vulgar term in the heat of "battle" but I don't want to see in in a forum.
It's only ink and paper.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I've made my own contributions to the crassness of the Internet, and I regret it. I am one hundred percent behind forum language codes.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Gunbuilder

Re: Goodbye.

Post by Gunbuilder »

Black_Moons wrote:well Id like to take this chance to say goodbye, since im sick of harold threatening to ban me for saying common everyday phrases that nobody actualy objects to, i'll just leave of my own accord.

If anyone has any suggestions for other forums I could go to that allow the same level of mature adult talk featured in PG rated movies, i'm all ears.
Sorry to see you go, but I am with Harold. It is his playground and what he says goes.

Thanks,
Paul