Digital Height Gage

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

I actually have both the digital and dial calipers. I think the dial ones are older, 18+ years I believe. Still prefer the digital ones. I toss the calipers when the faces get worn and he faces don't come together all the way down when closed. I have thrown both digital and dial calipers away in the last 38 years when they wear out.

Richard W.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I still rely on a vernier caliper purchased in early '58, as I recall. It no longer is able to do fine work, but it's great for checking size of stock. It's a vernier Helios.

Even with my diminished eye capacity, I still like a vernier scale. It never has to be reset, nor does the battery die in the middle of a project.

Harold
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

Dial type instruments are quit often looked at as not as accurate as the same something in digital. Lots of the errors in parts I inspect are due to people not realizing the zero button was pushed or a preset is wrong and they measure without verifying the tools. Twits actually. Oops did I say that! Vernier and dial tools are much less likely to be out.

A month ago I was asked to measure a process test part that was made to .030 thick and our ultrasonic gauges only read to .060. I used a dial indicator in a "long C" shaped holder with a pin under the indicator tip to reach. I wrote all the numbers I read on the part with a black Sharpie. The part was sent to the customer and they did the same with their Ultrasonic that can read to .007 and wrote in blue. In the mean time the company bought a $5,000 plus Ultrasonic like customer's and when we got the part back I did it again with it and recorded in red. All three readings at each location was within .001 of each other. Shows you don't need the fancy toys to measure accurately. Especially in a home shop!

Pete
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

I have found the dial tools to be more likely to be out. They can skip a tooth on dust in the gears. I got a new set of coolant proof digital calipers and they seem to work just fine. (8" Mitutoyo)

Richard W.
JimGlass

Post by JimGlass »

I have found the dial tools to be more likely to be out. They can skip a tooth on dust in the gears. I got a new set of coolant proof digital calipers and they seem to work just fine. (8" Mitutoyo)
Exactly why I like digital calipers. No gears are racks to get dirty.

The vernier height gage, calipers, and the slide rule have never needed new batteries. I bought the slide rule when I was in 8th grade. It was mounted to my Honda 350 for several years for checking gas mileage. Today, the slide rule is in my 2002 Ford Ranger for the same reason. :)

Jim
Attachments
Digital, dial and vernier measuring tools.   Plus old slide rule
Digital, dial and vernier measuring tools. Plus old slide rule
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com