Band Saw question

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: bandsaw

Post by Harold_V »

gmann109 wrote:It sounds like you are makng a case for a large, professional shop sized vertical saw. Yes, they are are nice. Sure. But you'd have to do the feeding by hand unless you have some method of doing that on a vertical bandsaw.
Many of the vertical saws have provisions for feeding the material. DoAll offers both a hydraulic table or a weight system. With the weight system, all you need do is guide the cut with the two handled device that is made to accommodate the feed system. Nice part about that is the device is also useful without using the weight system, saving one from cutting fingers when things go wrong.

Harold
gmann109

Post by gmann109 »

Harold_V wrote:
gmann109 wrote:It sounds like you are makng a case for a large, professional shop sized vertical saw. Yes, they are are nice. Sure. But you'd have to do the feeding by hand unless you have some method of doing that on a vertical bandsaw.
Many of the vertical saws have provisions for feeding the material. DoAll offers both a hydraulic table or a weight system. With the weight system, all you need do is guide the cut with the two handled device that is made to accommodate the feed system. Nice part about that is the device is also useful without using the weight system, saving one from cutting fingers when things go wrong.

Harold
Yeah, I know.
gmann109

Post by gmann109 »

gmann109 wrote:
Harold_V wrote:

Harold
Yeah. That's right, They do have those mechansms. A Do-All is a nice machine but rather heavy-duty for the typical home shop. I still prefer a horizontal-vertical saw. I like the way it rolls around for storage when I'm not using it.
spro

bandsaw

Post by spro »

Thx. gmann 109, I can make a case for anything because I like machinery. It would be impracticle to have such a large vertical unless you really need it yet practicle or not things come out of the webs of history and one is presented with an opportunity to get a machine which is really great for what it does. That's all. I have some 6x ? cutoffs and my brother had a 7x ? similar to yours and with the hydraulic downfeed was a very good cutoff saw. The spring biz on the 6" ers is crude and most everyone has to hang a weight or guide at some point if cutting some stock.
The Tannewitz was a particular good old verticle yet I never bought one. In fact one might want to get the divorice papers and the insurance policies updated if attempting to get one in the basement. I just checked a catalog and they weighed between 1950 and 3300 lbs. they would take 1/8"-2" blade. All I was trying to say is that there is a level to which you can take a wood verticle saw and make it metal-cutting. As that level is not reached it makes sense.
One of these days I'd like to have a Grob. They are not sexy at all and from what I've seen of them they are pretty bulletproof. The welder which I have is an excellent blade welder. Like all of us there are priorities.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

gmann109 wrote:
Harold_V wrote:

Harold
Yeah, I know.
Others may not, so informing folks can serve a useful purpose. Imagine someone passing on a DoAll with a blade welder, all at a bargain price, because they didn't think it would power feed.

Harold
gmann109

Post by gmann109 »

Others may not, so informing folks can serve a useful purpose. Imagine someone passing on a DoAll with a blade welder, all at a bargain price, because they didn't think it would power feed.

Harold
I've reached the practical limit of space available for machines. I slao have a Parks 4X12 power wood planer, ca. 1940, that I restored in 1972. I seldom use it but I like knowing it's there. Adding a Do-All would require getting rid of something else.
Last edited by gmann109 on Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willy B

Post by Willy B »

"This is still a "home machinist" website, isn't it? LOL."

From some of the advice I see, I sometimes wonder.

Bill
Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

Willy B wrote:"This is still a "home machinist" website, isn't it? LOL."

Bill
How do you define the title, "home machinist"?
Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.
Willy B

Post by Willy B »

Steve_in_Mich wrote:
Willy B wrote:"This is still a "home machinist" website, isn't it? LOL."

Bill
How do you define the title, "home machinist"?
Well, if it is anything more than a guy at home, messing around trying to make things with the limited space, material, machinery and his talent (probably pretty limited), I'm on the wrong board. He doesn't need to be told the job can be farmed out, he needs a drawer full of expensive reamers, or that a slightly used, $40,000 machine is best for the job.

Bill
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

This thread is taking a turn that is not in the interest of the board. How about everyone take a step back and rethink what has been discussed here?
Many of you are missing the point in these discussions. That a site is for "home machinists" has nothing to do with the equipment one might find in a home shop. There are many that have money to burn, and own equipment that is commonly found in industry. Would you have these people not visit this board because they happen to own machines above the bare essentials?

Readers need to read posts that discuss options with the idea of gaining knowledge, and stop reading them as if they are mandates.

There are times when I have given advice on getting a particular job done. I may make strict recommendations, even advising that no methods be tried aside from the one I recommend.

Reason?

I've been in this business for years, and have enough experience to know that when you are down to the fine wire, if a job has gone south and there is precious little left to remove, such as a cylinder bore with taper, on size at one end, under at the other, unless the reader is prepared to lose the expensive casting, it behooves them to follow instructions. If that involves paying others to finish the project with the proper equipment, saving what is, otherwise, a guaranteed piece of scrap, so be it.

I haven't noticed anyone insisting that large vertical saws are a necessity. Those that have the room and own such saws can extol the virtues of their ownership----that's perfectly acceptable on this forum. Some may learn that that could be the solution to an ongoing problem, while others may see it as a less than acceptable solution due to space constraints and/or financial limitations. That in no way should prevent readers from posting their opinions, nor should it raise the hackles of folks that may or may not have an understanding.

Whether readers have nothing more than a hack saw and a few files, or state-of-the-art CNC equipment in their shops, all are welcome here. Please do not try to limit readership by excluding anyone that doesn't fit "your" idea of a home machinist.

Harold
Willy B

Post by Willy B »

Harold, the guy was enquiring about the wisdom of converting a wood bandsaw. Did not want to spend much money, has no room for a big saw. He gets treated to posts extolling the virtures of saws way out of that league. Maybe those saws have a place in a home machine shop, but not his. It seems to happen with many, many posts, making one wonder just what this board is all about. Sometimes it seems to be a big ego trip.

Why is it the boy that notices the Emperor has no clothes is told he is being a bad boy?

It does seem I am on the wrong board. Sorry if I stepped on somebodies corn.

Bill
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

At times I had to wonder myself.

It seems that there are many professional machinists still working on large shops in the membership. Where the company buys the tooling and equipment.

My feeling about being a home machinist is to make the best with the resources available ... either be making your own or buying used equipment to give it new life.

Since I started my shop about two and a half years ago, I have been blesses finding nice used equipment whenever I have the money, but at times there is not enough money to buy materials, which I am sure most here have experienced.

What I don't understand is why when someone is clear on the posting with area and space restrictions, but then the contribuitors will overlook that and we end up with a loose thread, like this one.

I think that a "lack of consideration" may be a way to describe it, but not done with bad intent.

Tough subject
:cry:
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa