What are these called?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

spro

machinist clamps

Post by spro »

Jay you dropped the mentos. Appreciate your knowledge.
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

Not to be a big picker of nits.....but.....the Brits don't call much of anything a clamp. They usually use the word "cramp", as in G Cramps.
See. :D

http://www.technologystudent.com/equip1/cramp1.htm

Searches might yield better info with it.

Pete
Willy B

Post by Willy B »

gange, haven't you heard, thee is no such thing as too many clamps. You can can have not enough, or enough, but not too many.

Bill
Peter.

Post by Peter. »

I am English Pete, and I would like my clamps back please! You can tell they are mine as they have my initials engraved on them. Send them right away (you pay postage) and we'll say no more on the matter.

Some compensation would be nice :)
gmann109

Post by gmann109 »

Willy B wrote:gange, haven't you heard, thee is no such thing as too many clamps. You can can have not enough, or enough, but not too many.

Bill
Well, that may be but if you think you have enough, you will probably always need one more. :D
gunboatbay

Post by gunboatbay »

Not long before Boeing Surplus closed its doors to the public, they had a sale on metal workbenchs. I bought 2, one with a drawer unit at one end. They loaded the benches onto my truck with their forklift, so I had no idea how heavy they were. When I got them home, I couldn't move the one with the drawer unit by hand. I discovered the drawer unit was filled with clamps. Mostly c-clamps of all sizes, but there were 3 super-duty clamps that I have no use for and would be happy if someone would take them off my hands, just for the cost of shipping. The picture below has one of the regular c-clamps as well, just to give a perspective of how heavy duty these things are:
Attachments
clamps.jpg
websterz

Post by websterz »

gunboatbay wrote:Not long before Boeing Surplus closed its doors to the public, they had a sale on metal workbenchs. I bought 2, one with a drawer unit at one end. They loaded the benches onto my truck with their forklift, so I had no idea how heavy they were. When I got them home, I couldn't move the one with the drawer unit by hand. I discovered the drawer unit was filled with clamps. Mostly c-clamps of all sizes, but there were 3 super-duty clamps that I have no use for and would be happy if someone would take them off my hands, just for the cost of shipping. The picture below has one of the regular c-clamps as well, just to give a perspective of how heavy duty these things are:
Your big clamps are what are called "plate dogs". They are used for moving heavy plate where there is no other way to grip it. They are torqued down on the edge of the plate and are lifted by way of the hole with a hoist. At one time they would have had a clevis attached to the hole and a serrated jaw on the screw for biting in and getting a good grip.
sandman2234

Post by sandman2234 »

Gunboatbay,
What would shipping be to the northeast corner of Florida? (32244 zip). As previously stated, you can never have enough clamps.
David from jax
BP 2j vs, SB lathe, W& S #4 Turret lathe, Maho 600P
gunboatbay

Post by gunboatbay »

I live in the extreme northwest, so probably pretty high shipping costs. I'll weigh the 3 and get an estimate from UPS
gmann109

Post by gmann109 »

gunboatbay wrote:I live in the extreme northwest, so probably pretty high shipping costs. I'll weigh the 3 and get an estimate from UPS
They now have flat rate Priority shipping boxes that will take a lot of weight fo rthe same price.

www.usps.com
sandman2234

Re: What are these called?

Post by sandman2234 »

I passed one of those clamps on to a friend after receiving them from "Gunboatbay", and was over at his house this weekend and saw it "in use". Made me smile, remembering that they were a selfish donation from a member on this board. I probably use the remaining two as much or more than any other clamp in my shop.
David from jax
BP 2j vs, SB lathe, W& S #4 Turret lathe, Maho 600P