Micrometer Reading Help

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

seal killer

Micrometer Reading Help

Post by seal killer »

All--

For a long time I have been struggling to read a manual micrometer. Although I have a good electronic 0"-1" outside mic and an electronic Fowler depth mic, I also have several manual micrometers that I do not trust myself reading.

There is a picture below of an old Lufkin Rule No. 1641 with a 0.250 plus plug gage in its jaws. Does the micrometer read 0.250 plus about 0.0006" or 0.0007"?

Thanks!

--Bill
Attachments
What is the reading?
What is the reading?
You are what you write.
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

looks like 0.2506" to me.
........David......
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

Calibrated eye !!!

Agree, but unless the micrometer has the tenths vernier, .0006" is anybody's guess.
A tenth even the vernier some times is hard to see.
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

If you trust the plug gauge, then it's time to adjust the micrometer.

You should have a wrench that fits in a little hole in the inner barrel to turn it.

Steve
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Nosmo and Jose and Steve--

Ha! I knew I would get the answers!

I "inherited" the micrometer--along with a couple more which I have not cleaned up, yet--from my brother-in-law. (The estate sale junkie.)

When the thimble is in the gently closed position, it reads about 0.0004" or 0.0005". Picture below. (If I can adjust it, then I think it will be a good instrument, since I trust the plug gage . . . I measured it with two other mics, one of them electronic.)

Steve, the hole you mentioned is present and a closeup of it is below. I can't tell from my picture what kind of wrench might fit. Is it merely a small allen wrench? (Sounds too easy, but the INNER hole looks like the smallest allen wrench in the world. I'll clean that teeny tiny hole a bit better.)

--Bill
Attachments
When completely closed, the thimble tells me it is at about 0.0004" -0.0005". Am I correct?
When completely closed, the thimble tells me it is at about 0.0004" -0.0005". Am I correct?
The Adjustment Hole. What Kind of Tool Does It Require?
The Adjustment Hole. What Kind of Tool Does It Require?
You are what you write.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Bill,

You need a spanner type wrench. The drum (the part with the long horizontal line on it) rotates to align it with the ) mark.

I just got home or I'd post a pic of the little spanner required. (It's at the shop)
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
kenh

Post by kenh »

Is the gage and the anvils clean?
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Steve and Glenn--

Glenn, I am glad I just took a VERY high res picture of that little hole, anyway, because it has no socket.

Steve, I wonder what its purpose may be? (Picture below.)

Glenn, I have a couple of those spanner wrenches laying around. Perhaps one of the wrenches from one of my other mics might work. I would sure like to restore this Lufkin 1641 to accurate functionality. (I bookmarked the site. Thanks!)

--Bill
Attachments
This hole has obviously been used, but there is no socket functionality that I can see.
This hole has obviously been used, but there is no socket functionality that I can see.
You are what you write.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

kenh--

Yes . . . they are finger-wipe clean. But, I will check them again. I am still in the process of cleaning the instrument.

--Bill
You are what you write.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

seal killer wrote:kenh--

Yes . . . they are finger-wipe clean. But, I will check them again. I am still in the process of cleaning the instrument.

--Bill
Not good enough, Bill.

A very good way to clean the spindle and anvil, all at the same time, is to insert a piece of paper (no ink), and snug the spindle--but not too tightly. Withdraw the paper. Do it more than once if you find they're still dirty. If the surfaces are in good repair, they will be spotless.

Insure that the mic is at 0 with your feel. The mic should turn freely, and will have a definite feel to it when the two faces come in contact. Try to emulate that feel when you take measurements. That's what makes a micrometer reliable----knowing what constitutes being tightened properly.

Harold
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

"This hole has obviously been used, but there is no socket functionality that I can see."

Bill, the barrel of the mic is pressed-fit.
The hole for the spanned is so you can force-twist the barrel to match the thimble's number zero.

If you remove the spindle (which is easy to do by just unscrewing it all the way), you'll see a little ring that is there so decrease or increase the tightness of the threads over the spindle's.

Most mics have the spindle attached to the thimble by a screw which some times is part of a feel-ratchet and a taper.
This is another way that one can zero the thimble without the spanner.

You'll have to loose that screw and then tap it (carefully) with a soft hammer. Usually the spindle will let loose from the thimble.
If not, then you may have to remove the screw and use a drive pin punch being careful not to damage the threads.
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa