Micrometer Reading Help

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Harold--

A few posts above, Glenn posted a site that explained the anvil cleaning procedure. I am going to follow it. Plus, I believe I have the "feel" you mentioned, or at least something approaching it.

--Bill
You are what you write.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Jose--

You are right on the money, as usual. Below is a picture of the screw you mentioned. First, I will try my spanner wrenches. If that does not work, I will attempt to adjust--very carefully--by loosening the screw and tapping lightly on the screw hoping that will be sufficient!

--Bill
Attachments
The adjustment screw on top of the ratchet.
The adjustment screw on top of the ratchet.
You are what you write.
Falcon67

Post by Falcon67 »

Also note that the knurled knob do-hicky on the end is probably a friction-spin set up, which allows you to run the mic down on a part with the same torque each time to get equal readings.
Gunbuilder

micrometer

Post by Gunbuilder »

micrometer also known on eBay as a C-clamp!

Paul
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Jose and Harold and All--

I took a wrench from one of my other mics and it fits perfectly. However, the thimble is really stuck and short of using a vice and a pair of channel locks, I cannot break it loose.

So, I liberally doused the pathways to the internals with penetrating oil and am going to let it sit for a bit.

There is a picture of the ratchet screw loosened way up (I've had it off and cleaned the mechanism, being careful not to lose the pin and spring that makes the ratchet work). Plus, there is a picture of the wrench.

I have been trying to turn the wrench in the counter-clockwise direction (unscrewing for a RH thread), but does the direction make a difference if it is merely a press fit?

I have not tried tapping on the top of the screw, yet. Should this be done with the ratchet thimble in place, as is shown in the picture? It looks like any movement will force the ratchet "gear" (pawl?) to move on the shaft. If so, what does this mean for re-assembly? Once the "gear" has moved on the shaft, will the thimble become loose? Is the idea to loosen the thimble, slide it toward the end of the shaft, then tighten the screw until the "0" coincides with the zero mark when the anvil surfaces contact?

Thanks!

--Bill
Attachments
The rachet mechanism.
The rachet mechanism.
This wrench fits perfectly.
This wrench fits perfectly.
You are what you write.
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

Don't hit that screw. It only holds that type of ratchet mechanism on. The little hole on the barrel is most likely holding that thimble to the 40 tpi shaft. Perhaps a modification by a previous user or unique to that maker.

The knurled thimble is usually attached to the shaft by a taper and a rap with the wood handle of a small hammer to the side should make it break free. Then you slip it back on to align the lines. This is usually done as a coarse adjustment to bring it back to the side of the micrometer.

Fine adjustments are done by rotating the sleeve with the little spanner you have. The pressed on sleeve will move in both directions to get the zero and may take some force to move it if it has been a while.

Pete
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

Bill ... that hole on the thimble troughs a wrench on what I can help you with.

Never seeing one like that.

Sorry !!
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Pete and Jose--

Pete, I'm glad I let it "cogitate" in penetrating oil for a few hours instead of working on it! Thanks for the help!

Jose, it is a Lufkin Rule No. 1641. My ignorant guess is that it was very popular. Picture below.

--Bill
Attachments
Lufkin Rule No. 1641
Lufkin Rule No. 1641
You are what you write.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Jose and Pete and All--

Got it! I had to put the micrometer wrapped in a towel and protected by soft jaws, in a bench vise after taping on the circumference of the cylinder with a small wooden hammer handle. By this time, it had already soaked in penetrating oil for about four hours.

Still, it was not easy to loosen the thimble. The oil inside had turned very sticky, but the wrench finally turned. I took the ratchet thimble off and then removed the adjustment thimble, cleaning both very thoroughly in the process.

I stuck it back together, fiddling with it a bit to see how best to adjust it. The results with the same 0.250" plus plug gage are shown below. (Refer to the same picture above to see the before and after difference.)

Tell me if you think it is right on the money, close, or close enough. (Or if I need to do more.)

Thanks!

--Bill
Attachments
I THINK this is pretty much on the money measuring a 0.250" +0.0002" plug gage.
I THINK this is pretty much on the money measuring a 0.250" +0.0002" plug gage.
You are what you write.
mechanicalmagic

Post by mechanicalmagic »

seal killer wrote:The results with the same 0.250" plus plug gage ......

Tell me if you think it is right on the money, close, or close enough.
Bill,
I'm a bit bothered by your calling the gage pin a 0.250" plus. Do you know it's exact size?

If it's 50 millionths over, then I'd say you are right on the money.

Dave J.
Every day I ask myself, "What's the most fun thing to do today."
9x48 BP clone, 12x36 lathe, TIG, MIG, Gas, 3 in 1 sheetmetal.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Looks like you forgot the .0002"!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Dave and Glenn--

Dave, in my ignorance I thought ALL plug gages were 0.0002" . . . either plus or minus. Sorry about that.

I have 0.061" through 0.250" sets in both plus and minus 0.0002".

Glenn, thanks for making my mistake clear to me. Do plug gages come in MANY different +/- sizes?

--Bill
ps Dave, the gages are not 50 millionths over. Do I need to figure out a way to adjust the mic more?
You are what you write.