Need help locating particular kind of extruded aluminum rail

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

AlphaGeek

Need help locating particular kind of extruded aluminum rail

Post by AlphaGeek »

Google is great -- if you have keywords that actually produce a match for the thing you're trying to find. I'm hoping someone here can give me the magic word or phrase to look for at online supplier sites to find this material.

I'm looking for a particular kind of square aluminum rail extrusion. It has a light-duty sort of T-slot present on each face to accomodate fasteners to hold things in position, which can be loosened to slide along the slot in the rail. Here's a picture:

Ideally I'd like to find a source that offers this in different cross-sectional sizes. Doesn't have to be aluminum, though that is the preferred material due to weight concerns -- steel would be OK if it's an extrusion with significant internal void space to lighten it.

In case anyone is interested, it's for a project for work. Building a custom rig to position a camera (e.g. an HD-quality webcam) on an adjustable axis above a flexible mounting clamp system holding a mobile device, i.e. a smartphone or hand-held tablet. There are surprisingly few good affordable, reasonably portable commercial options for this need given the small market for such a product, making it perfect for one-off production of a custom solution.

-AG
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

AlphaGeek

Post by AlphaGeek »

Thanks, Bob. That's exactly what I was looking for.

-AG
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
larry_g

Post by larry_g »

As Bob C pointed you that is 80/20 Inc. product. Be aware that 80/20 comes in both english and metric sizes and not all of the associated hardware will inter change. As a further note there are other compeitors in this field with similar products. Though the cempetitors look about the same they will not interchange, sepecially the T-bolts and nuts. Each mfg has what seems to be a propritary slot profile and matching hardware. I would suggest that you get a 80/20 catalogue and learn their system before starting to design the product. A t-nut does not always lend itself to adjustability. Investigate some of the other products in the catalogue that may better suit the task at hand. Also talk with the engineers at 80/20 for design tips.

lg
no neat sig line
I am unique, just like everyone else.
turkeywire

Post by turkeywire »

I agree with Larry. MSC is also a distributor for 89/20.
AlphaGeek

Post by AlphaGeek »

You guys rock. 8020's website has a wealth of interesting info -- I think I just downloaded about 250MB worth of materials to peruse over the weekend.

-AG
mechanicalmagic

Post by mechanicalmagic »

AG,
I was at Halted in Santa Clara, a few days ago. They had some ~2"x2" x ~24" scraps and some 2"x4" same length. Price was $2/$4 a foot. Not sure if that might fit your needs. But it would save on shipping. After going in the front door go to the back wall and all the way to the right.

http://www.halted.com/
(Not shown on their website.)

Dave J.
Every day I ask myself, "What's the most fun thing to do today."
9x48 BP clone, 12x36 lathe, TIG, MIG, Gas, 3 in 1 sheetmetal.
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

This people on eBay have some shapes similar to what you show.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/8020-Inc-Ga ... QQ_armrsZ1
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
spro

Post by spro »

I think they are used as stantions/pillars for assembling office cubicles or were. Used office furn/equip warehouse may be a good place to check.