Little Engine Finished

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

seal killer

Little Engine Finished

Post by seal killer »

All--

I finished my little steam engine! I thank everyone that helped me and thought about the issues involved.

It ran on first air!

I had great doubts about getting those tiny 0.043" steam ports to align, especially given the instructions in the book, which included things like 'Advance the feed exactly 0.212" and then the other feed 0.050"' and ' . . . then drill .043" dia. to a depth of 3/32". Back the crossfeed exactly .100" from this reading being sure to take up the play, and repeat.'

Emphasis mine. Being sure to take up the play? Gee. I never learned how to take up the play. Off-setting the features from 0,0 sure helped, though!

The instructions were written with a lathe in mind, which I do not own. I built it with my mill, substituting reverse boring for the lathe. I still have to mount it and build a boiler, but it sure whizzes along on even an almost empty can of air and I can turn it a few revolutions by puffing on the steam inlet pipe (not shown below).

When it is completely finished, I will start a thread with all the details in the Live Steam forum. My insignificant effort will be mere child's play on that forum, but it may interest those that helped me with steam questions.

I only show it here because of the substitution of a mill for a lathe and my gratitude for all the techniques many of you taught me in the process.

Thanks!

[EDIT: Log in to see the pictures.]

--Bill
Attachments
With the exception of the screw and dowel pins, I built everything, including the spring and washers with your help. I failed to put something in that would place the size in perspective. BUT, that screw is a 1-72x1/2".
With the exception of the screw and dowel pins, I built everything, including the spring and washers with your help. I failed to put something in that would place the size in perspective. BUT, that screw is a 1-72x1/2".
A little steam engine.
A little steam engine.
Last edited by seal killer on Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You are what you write.
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

Good job Bill !!

Having it done in a mill makes it more unusual and challenging to make.

8) 8) 8)
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
grimjack

Good job!

Post by grimjack »

Now what are you going to run with it? Make more and make a fleet of tiny CO2 cylinder race cars!

Grimjack
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

Well done Bill! Now, save your "mad money" and go out and buy yerself a LATHE!! LOL!
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Great accomplishment Bill!

That's some pretty clever work for just using a milling machine.

Well done.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

As already stated, nice work!
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Harold_V

Re: Little Engine Finished

Post by Harold_V »

seal killer wrote:Being sure to take up the play? Gee. I never learned how to take up the play. Off-setting the features from 0,0 sure helped, though!
Chuckle! An eloquent way of insuring that one be mindful of backlash?

No matter--you did good, Bill. Nice job!

Harold
JimGlass

Post by JimGlass »

Bill;

You must have patience of iron.

I would like to see a video of your engine running if that is possible.

Jim
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com
turkeywire

Post by turkeywire »

Nice looking engine. It is amazing what one can do with what is on hand and a lot of ingenuity.

Carl
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

Thank you for the compliments and all the help!

Jim, patience? I dunno. I decided early on not to machine something important if I had no clue. That is why I asked so many machining questions (in the construction of the engine) on this forum . . . because I had NO CLUE! I often feel like you guys built it and I only turned the dials.

Since you DEMAND a video :), I will provide a link to a short one as soon as I get the mount machined, which I plan to do today. Of course, it will be running on a can of air since I have not built the boiler, yet. (After the boiler is constructed, I will devise a base on which to mount the boiler and engine.)

Harold, the author said to "back" the dial and be sure to take up the "play." IS there a way to do that? When backed into that corner, I always go back to either x or y zero, or both and locate the proper position by turning the dials. (Of course, this means that I have to convert the instructions that use positioning relative to the last feature created into x,y coordinates ahead of time . . . but that is no big deal.)

grimjack, I have actually been thinking about your little race car idea! :)

I took the picture of the assembled engine using a camera technique that would show the tool marks in their worst light. In reality, they are pretty much invisible.

QUESTION: What do I use to make them invisible and cause the brass and bronze to really shine nicely?

--Bill
You are what you write.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

seal killer wrote: QUESTION: What do I use to make them invisible and cause the brass and bronze to really shine nicely?
--Bill
More spindle speed and a radius on the cutter! :)

Surface finish is for sure very difficult to photograph. It always appears much worse in the image than it really is. The exception being girls!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Glenn--

These tool marks, as you implied, are almost invisible. I am happy with the machining of the materials.

However, I want to polish the components. Would you use 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper or something even finer?

--Bill
You are what you write.