Tumbler polishing media for aluminum

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

Tumbler polishing media for aluminum

Post by SteveM »

It's Pinewood Derby car season again.

As I now have a small rock tumbler, I figured finishing the nails off in the tumbler might be a good idea.

What is a good media for this? Walnut shells? How about abrasive? I have Flitz, and I've heard of people using that with tumbler media.

The nails will be finished with abrasive down to 1500-2000 paper and then a buffing wheel.

Steve
Frank Ford

Post by Frank Ford »

I've had good results with Flitz, in a vibratory unit, using walnut shell as the tumbler medium (hamster bedding from the pet shop).
Cheers,

Frank Ford
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Frank Ford wrote:hamster bedding from the pet shop
Hey, that's a great source without having to buy a 50 pound bag of tumbler media!

How much Flitz do you use? Do you just drizzle it on and mix it up while drizzling?

Steve
GeneT

Post by GeneT »

Frank Ford wrote: (hamster bedding from the pet shop).
It's lizard bedding at the local petshop - so don't give up if you don't find it with the hamster supplies. Works great.

GsT
gregvasale

Post by gregvasale »

you may also try concob, avaiable at gun shops that sell reloading supplies, and should be online too.
Bolsterman

Post by Bolsterman »

I used to be interested in restoring collectible diecast cars (hotwheels) and there is a group of people who pursue that with a passion. Almost all of them own vibe tumblers, and the universal caution you get from them is to NOT add any liquid product to your media. Every once in awhile someone wants to add a liquid or paste metal polishing additive and they all shout the idea down.
A Bona Fide Soggy Bottom Boy
GeneT

Post by GeneT »

Bolsterman wrote:I used to be interested in restoring collectible diecast cars (hotwheels) and there is a group of people who pursue that with a passion. Almost all of them own vibe tumblers, and the universal caution you get from them is to NOT add any liquid product to your media. Every once in awhile someone wants to add a liquid or paste metal polishing additive and they all shout the idea down.
Did they say why? I have used ammunition case tumbling polish, car wax, Flitz, and Brasso all with success at various times.

GsT
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

GeneT wrote:Did they say why? I have used ammunition case tumbling polish, car wax, Flitz, and Brasso all with success at various times.
I think that they may be polishing the cars whole, and if you use liquid, you will end up with stuff stuck inside the car. If it's dry, you can blow it out.

For nails and cases, the liquid should work well.

Steve