forming with a punch and die

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

daz59

forming with a punch and die

Post by daz59 »

You guys may remember a few months ago I was on asking about making punches and dies for punching out baffles for rifles silencers, I thought id update you.

With much trial and error I finally came up with a design that works well, I have done over 200 baffles, each baffle is fully formed including the hole in the middle with one stage, I just have to trim them to length in the lathe.

They are made from s/s
Attachments
baffles2.JPG
Jay, Idaho

Post by Jay, Idaho »

Nice stampings. How about showing us the tooling?

Thanks,

Jay
Dave_C

Baffels

Post by Dave_C »

Question:

In the state where I live making one of these "toys" is considered a no-no.

I am told that we can not make one of these even for our own use. How are you able to make these?

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
daz59

Post by daz59 »

I will post pictures when I have time.

In New Zealand we dont have those laws, we are free to build and sell them over here :D

Darren
Falcon67

Post by Falcon67 »

I'm also interested in the tooling - have an application that I could use a similar deal to press out some brass parts.
JimGlass

Post by JimGlass »

Falcon 67

I sent you a PM

Jim
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com
Jay, Idaho

Licenses,

Post by Jay, Idaho »

The most important think about owning/building suppressors in the US is to have the proper Federal paperwork. Each of the 50 states have their own rules which one will be aware of when you begin your Federal (BATFE) license application.
My state, Idaho, allows full autos and suppressors while next door, Washington State, allows only suppressors, no full autos.
Falcon67

Post by Falcon67 »

Thanks for the PM.

What is it my friend in the TSA said - you can (with proper docs) fly into New York City with a hand gun but when you try to leave you'll be arrested because they aren't legal in NY.
Dave_C

Federal Paper Work

Post by Dave_C »

Oh yeah, I remember trying to do the FFL paper work. I got to page one where is says "If you don't intend to keep regular business hours then stop here as you will not be approved". So I stopped!

My intent was to do gunsmith work when I retired using the machining skills and tools that I have acquired. I'm still working so I would not be able to keep full time hours right now.

I guess our Government would rather support me than to let me work at something I like to do. I thought helping hunters with their gun needs would have been a great way to stay in touch with people after retirement but noooooo, ATF says you have to be a full time business to get an FFL. (I can meet all other requirements) "That is so they can drop in anytime they want and check you records. Fine, I have no problem with that. I work out of my home, come see me anytime you want. I follow all laws and regulations.

I bet the criminals don't even try. Oh yeah, that is why they are criminals.

Oh well, I'll get off my soap box.

Dave C.
Falcon67

Post by Falcon67 »

Ask for a publication that specifies or defines "regular business hours". Bet you won't get it. Do they trade stocks in Asia or Australia on the same time schedule as the USA? Your "regular business hours" are what you make them I think. Plenty of small town businesses with business hours like "Saturday only". A restaurant we used to frequent in Humble was open Tuesday-Thursday 11:30-1:30 only. And you best got there early if you wanted a table.
Dave_C

Business HOurs

Post by Dave_C »

Falcon,

Actually the FFL form I was sent spelled out the hours. It gave you some choices but they all required at least 5 day a week 8 hours a day.

Dave C.
Falcon67

Post by Falcon67 »

Well - somebody thought that through. Surprised me!