New member from Houston TX

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

machinedemon

New member from Houston TX

Post by machinedemon »

My friends call me JR and I live in Houston, TX. I am relatively new on machining but an experienced woodworker. My metal “shop” is just two walls of my smaller garage and space is at a premium (my other garage is taken by my woodworking machines and a large gun safe). I started with the Sherline lathe and mill but I am expanding to mid size projects (mostly more jigs for the machines, brackets, little models and a bit of metal art).
I recently got the Lathemaster 8X14 lathe, the Lathemaster band saw and a Burr King 482 belt grinder. Struggling with the Mill choice. I have being following the posts from Bolsterman and he got me spooked about buying the Grizzly X3 that was my initial choice. The Lathemaster mills are out of stock and I am very limited on choices because of space and availability of only 110V in that side of the house ($1000 to get 220V because of distance to my breaker box).

I look forward to learn from the other members, starting for advise on the bench mill (believe me, I was trained in a Bridgeport and would have one if I had space and 220V). Also will look for advice in tools and optimum use of space.

I thank you in advance for any tips!

JR
Falcon67

Post by Falcon67 »

Welcome. Lived in Spring for a little over 4 years. Good bunch here, you can learn a lot.

Run the 220V yourself - not a big deal, really. How far is "far" for that run?
Chris -
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
"Check all parts for proper condition before operation; if normal safety precautions are noticed carefully, this machine can provide you withstanding of accurate service."
machinedemon

Post by machinedemon »

Falcon67 wrote:Welcome. Lived in Spring for a little over 4 years. Good bunch here, you can learn a lot.

Run the 220V yourself - not a big deal, really. How far is "far" for that run?
Thanks! I live in Clear Lake. My house has nice landscaping, it would be like a 100 feet of buried conduit to get there and then repairing the landscaping, probably losing my wife in the process :) . Bad design.

JR
Falcon67

Post by Falcon67 »

Ah - always obstacles. Some 6/3 with ground cable and loop it over the bushes, all done. 8) Bummer - 220 power really opens up your machine selection.
Chris -
"Check all parts for proper condition before operation; if normal safety precautions are noticed carefully, this machine can provide you withstanding of accurate service."
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

machinedemon--

I was born in Houston. Herman hospital.

You know, landscaping will grow back, even in Clear Lake. You simply must have 220v in the shop. Go for it.

Make something for your wife. You don't even have to make it on the mill or lathe . . . just let her THINK you did. (Well, you really don't even have to make it, just let her THINK you did.) She will be so happy that you made her something that all problems will disappear.

--Bill
You are what you write.
turkeywire

Post by turkeywire »

I live in Pearland and these are a good bunch of guys.
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

Welcome to chaski JR :lol:
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Welcome to Chaski!

1) build two models of the Eifel tower and space them to carry your power line. it will be a real conversation piece.

I cant live without 220 in my shop. From window rattlers, (AC for the summer) to heavy duty compressores and the like, gotta have it.

I have a 125ft power cord now hidden below the grass, to my ramshakle barn. At least I can use it and pull it up. It is one of my salvage finds, and is 50 and 65 foot pieces bonded together 6x #8, can carry separate circuits.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

Hi and welcome JR.

Don't suppose you have a dryer a room or two away? You could unplug the dryer and plug in the power to the shop if you and your wife can work out non-conflicting schedules. That means you never work if she wants to dry. :D
It isn't a permanent solution but will work for a while until you come up with one or move to a shop orientated property.

Pete
Falcon67

Post by Falcon67 »

Yea, come to think of it - I remember the landscaping down there growing rather quickly. Except in winter, then I only had to mow the yard every other Saturday. :lol:
Chris -
machinedemon

Post by machinedemon »

Thank you to all of you for your advise and welcome! You guys are funny too!

You convinced me to go for the 220V. Aswering to Inspector actually the dryer is close by but, when we moved in, we had to buy a gas fired one because the laundry room did not have 220V either.

Still wondering about the Mill. My birthdate is coming and it looks that a great present to myself :)

JR
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

I wouldn't worry to much about the Grizzly X3. I've had mine for two years now (it was a Christmas present) and have yet to have a problem with it. When I set it up and checked the tram it was right on the X, Y & Z axis. If you do get the Griz X3 you may want to think about getting the Grizzly power feed and Dickybird made a nice counter weight for his that you may want to copy ... that is unless you want to build up your right arm.

As far as making things for the wife goes .. BE CAREFUL!!
Mine asked me to make a new vanity for the bath .. no problem. THEN I found out you can't put a new vanity in an old bathroom. $8000 and 2 months later I finally got back in the shop. After 40 yrs. married I should have known. Oh well.

Dickybird -- I just want you to know that I had a little something for you. I hope J & B with just a little tad of water was ok.

Good luck with your selection. Bigger is better but it has to fit bout the space available and the budget.

Bob C.