Flycutter Project

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

davec43

Flycutter Project

Post by davec43 »

I am spending a few hours making a flycutter I could buy for $15 on Ebay (no point going into that aspect).

My question is why am I getting the large burr on the bottom of the tool groove on the exit side. The feed direction is away from the column on all passes. The material is 1018 mild steel, diameter is 1.375, spindle RPM 1100, 4 flute endmill 5/16" diameter (cheap Grizzly model), DOC .005, feed should be 16" per minute but was hand fed and probably less than that say 8" per minute.

I am not real happy with the setup. It moved at one point. It could have used another clamp but had no room. I am trying to think of a different way to hold it but have not had any brilliant ideas yet.

The photo's should be self explanatory. I include a drawing of the design. I made a square corner because I don't have any tooling to make a radius.
Attachments
flycutter4.JPG
flycutter3.JPG
flycutter2.JPG
flycutter1.JPG
flycutter.jpg
Dave C

Grizzly 12x36 lathe, Gorton 1-22 milling machine
mechanicalmagic

Re: Flycutter Project

Post by mechanicalmagic »

davec43 wrote:My question is why am I getting the large burr on the bottom of the tool groove on the exit side.
If you are speaking of the burr in fly..3.JPG, I would say, that's common for 1018 with a used cutter. I assume you are taking a .005" DOC for just the finish pass?
davec43 wrote:I am not real happy with the setup. It moved at one point. It could have used another clamp but had no room. I am trying to think of a different way to hold it but have not had any brilliant ideas yet.
If I was doing that job, I would use two "V" blocks in a Kurt vise, with a wrap of 1/16" soft Aluminum around the flycutter shank. Set the angle by eye or protractor.

Dave J.
Every day I ask myself, "What's the most fun thing to do today."
9x48 BP clone, 12x36 lathe, TIG, MIG, Gas, 3 in 1 sheetmetal.
davec43

Post by davec43 »

Thanks Dave, I was talking about the burr in #3. There's not a lot of material choices in our small town.

The .005 DOC was what I did for all the passes with the 5/16 end mill, partly because of the setup, partly worried about flexing the small endmill. I like the two V-blocks in the vise better. It was easier to do the 15* this way but that's not a critical dimension.

The outside cut I used a 1/2" end mill and a DOC of .010.
Dave C

Bolsterman

Post by Bolsterman »

Is it possible your cutter is on the dull side?

Secondly, does the burr matter much, once you file it off?
A Bona Fide Soggy Bottom Boy
davec43

Post by davec43 »

The burr does not matter as you say. It matters if it is a result of improper technique or procedures. If that's as good as it gets with 1018, that's fine.

The endmill has seen little or no use, so should be sharp, but it's not an expensive endmill.
Dave C

LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

Burrs are common with 1018.... especially if the cutter is getting on the dull side.

This is why they make deburring tools/knives and Cratex.

LL
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it
CarlD

Post by CarlD »

Your going to get burrs when you cut on any metal. Don't worry about them, just clean them off when done.

The only thing I see wrong is using the rotary table for the setup. As said before, you should use a vise and one or two V blocks. One would work but you still can't take a heavy cut even in a vise.
It's only ink and paper.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Dave--

I have some of those Grizzly 4-flute, TiN coated end mills. They were the first ones I ever bought a couple years ago when I first began learning about milling.

Today, I have a BUNCH of American end mills both old and new. However, those Grizzly TiN end mills are still in my box and I still use them. Let me be the first to say that I have never really pushed one . . . maybe THAT is why they are still nice and sharp!

Additionally, just from a glance at your first picture, I wonder why you are using such a long end mill. A shorter one would provide more rigidity.

--Bill
You are what you write.
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

seal killer wrote:....I wonder why you are using such a long end mill. A shorter one would provide more rigidity.....l
Bill:

Nothing wrong with the end mill length being used.

Looks to be a around a 1/2" mill. Normal flute length would be around 1-1/4.

LL
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

LL--

Got'cha.

My habit has been to use the shortest end mill that will do the job. It SEEMS to work, but then a longer one may have worked just as well.

Thanks.

--Bill
You are what you write.
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

Bill:

The shorter the flute length the less deflection.

Once upon a time, many years ago, I had to use a 1/4" cutter that had a flute length of almost 2".... And I only needed around 3/8" from the tip of the cutter to make the cut needed.

The reason for using such a long cutter? I had cut a groove in the bottom of a small pocket. It was the only way to get down to depth needed to cut the groove. Material was 8620 steel.

Had to take more than a couple of finish passes due to the cutter spring.

LL
Last edited by LivingLegend on Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

LL--

I understand. It was one of the first lessons I learned. Of course, I had to learn it the hard way.

Since then, I try to use the shortest end mill possible . . . until I get into that inevitable situation you so aptly described. However, I have no experience with a long end mill when working steel, as aluminum (and now, I suppose, bronze) are my primary materials.

I have a little experience with short end mills and 4140 and 1018. The 1018 cut like butter compared to the 4140.

--Bill
You are what you write.