source for carbide blanks?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

TRX

source for carbide blanks?

Post by TRX »

I have a tool called a "Bowl Hog" that I'd like to repair. It's essentially a 60 degree cone, 1-1/2" in diameter, with three 1" long x 1/4" wide x 1/8" thick carbide blades, irregularly spaced. It's intended for opening up the area under the valve seats on automobile cylinder heads.

Due to the way the workpiece is shaped, it takes an interrupted cut, and the typical failure mode is for one of more of the carbide pieces to break off, as on the one I have.

It looks like it could be repaired easily enough if I could find some new piece of carbide to braze in. I'm sure I could cobble up some kind of fixture to grind the cutting edges.

Unfortunately, my google-fu only seems to turn up shaped carbide inserts or carbide rod. Doesn't someone sell rectangular carbide pieces in standard shapes, or is all that stuff custom made?
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Check with someone like MSC - www.mscdirect.com. Last time I looked they had carbide rectangles that could be brazed to shanks for custom tooling.
angelo49

Post by angelo49 »

Do a google search for "carbide blanks"
Here's one
http://www.centennialcarbide.com/index.html
Angelo
TRX

Post by TRX »

1/8 x 1/4 x 1 - C-2 $1.84

Thanks!