How does Loctite work?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveR

Loctite

Post by SteveR »

For Applications support, call 1-800-LOCTITE. You can talk to a person which is much easier than finding it yourself on a website.
Steve
12x36 Enco Lathe, 9x42 Bridgeport, SMAW, O/A, Miller MIG w/gas, plasma
Not enough measuring tools...
1.5" Allen Models Consolidation on air.
1" FEF in progress
1" & 3/4" LE Projects
I'm thankful that metal is recyclable....
Peter.

Re: Reguarding Loctite

Post by Peter. »

10 Wheeler Rob wrote:Another tidd bit is never use around Plexiglas (acrylic) or Lexan (Polycarbonate). It will make it stress crack or craze overnight.

Rob
Very true as my friend found out after replacing his motorbike front mudguard 3 times due to cracking around the fastener hole.
Ed_P

Post by Ed_P »

dgoddard wrote:The different grades work differently in some respects. Yes, the stuff is anerobic, however you might wonder why it does not harden in the bottles. According to some of what I have read, the bottle material is special in that it "breathes to prevent hardening. When trapped in the threads between a screw and a nut, the reduced access to air brings about the "hardening"
If you go to their web site you will find that is not true. There is nothing special about the bottles. The chemical reaction requires a catalyst which is in the metal.

Ed P
magic9r

Post by magic9r »

Ed P wrote:
dgoddard wrote:The different grades work differently in some respects. Yes, the stuff is anerobic, however you might wonder why it does not harden in the bottles. According to some of what I have read, the bottle material is special in that it "breathes to prevent hardening. When trapped in the threads between a screw and a nut, the reduced access to air brings about the "hardening"
If you go to their web site you will find that is not true. There is nothing special about the bottles. The chemical reaction requires a catalyst which is in the metal.

Ed P
So what's the common catalyst in copper, 316 stainless, Aluminium and Titanium?
My Locktite stud & bearing fit has worked with all of the above,
Nick
websterz

Post by websterz »

magic9r wrote:
Ed P wrote:

Ed P
So what's the common catalyst in copper, 316 stainless, Aluminium and Titanium?
My Locktite stud & bearing fit has worked with all of the above,
Nick
And why does the stuff that runs down the outside of the spout harden on the plastic threads?
joshuaz2

Post by joshuaz2 »

locktite needs carbon and lack of oxygen to chemically transform. it will dry out and be a solid but not the same as when it reacts with carbon. high grades of alu and stainless will not activate it without the primer, which is iron oxide in a chemical carrier.