To all users

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Jose Rivera

To all users

Post by Jose Rivera »

Please post non metal-working question in "The Junk Drawer".

This is a metal and machining related board board that has some flexibility by providing sections where non machining question can be posted.
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
Mr Ron

Re: To all users

Post by Mr Ron »

Did you work at the Mare Island Naval Shipyard? I used to work at Westnavelex back in the early 70's.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

Nope, Worked at Jorgensen Steel Co. LA forge div.
Also McDonnell Douglas, Rockwell Int'l. Space Shuttle program and lastly U.C. Berkeley E.E.C.S Micro Lab.
I do live in Vallejo and know many people that used to work there.
It is now open for a bunch of small businesses and once in a while they get to work on dismantling ships.

A big shame that such a large shipyard was closed.

Due to a complaint received, inappropriate political comments have been removed.

Harold
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
TomB

Post by TomB »

Jose Rivera wrote:Please post non metal-working question in "The Junk Drawer".

This is a metal and machining related board board that has some flexibility by providing sections where non machining question can be posted.
This seems like a fundemental change in the goals of the board. I for one have always gotten a lot out of discusions related to machining plastics, to heat treating metals and to rust treatments. According to the above definition all of those topics would be put in the junk drawer. Is that what was really intended? If so I think we would be better off to add a drawer for these other type activities because trying to find useful content in the Junk Drawer seems to take more time than I have.

Tom
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

Tom this was due to postings asking for woodworking advise some three years or more ago, if I remember correctly. And you're right !
I am not a moderator due to lack of free time, so please contact Harold, Glenn or websterz, the moderators of the General Discussion.
Ask for a more explicit description of what postings should be on the Junk drawer please.

Thanks
--------------
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Machining materials (or the processing) of any nature (aside from wood, and even that can be included if it's done on machine tools, not wood working equipment) can be posted in the appropriate forum. The junk drawer's purpose is to allow topics that tend to be somewhat off the purpose of the board. After all, we try to be like family, where (almost) all topics get discussed on occasion.

We draw the line with religion and politics, both of which tend to polarize readers, and have no redeeming qualities so far as the board is concerned. Religion, politics and bad language have no place on this board, not at any time.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

YOU'RE THE MAN HAROLD !!!!! :-)
--------------
TomB

Post by TomB »

Jose Rivera wrote:Tom this was due to postings asking for woodworking advise some three years or more ago, if I remember correctly......

Thanks
Sorry about replying to the wrong content. I just read the threads that have the icon on the left painted yellow and nomallly I don't look at the dates. Mostly I remember the threads from day to day so I can just skip to the bottom. But this was a new yellow icon and a new topic for me. When none of the replies addressed the topic in the opening note I got confused (easy for me) and thought that there was a new policy, one that seemed to be mis-stated. I realized that you had dropped the moderator role some time ago but guessed you must be taking up the role again or representing the gentleman that owns the board.

But to quote the Lilly Tomlin from HeeHaw, "O never mind".

Tom
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

One ringi-dingi ... two ringi-dingies- ..... :lol:
--------------
Marty Feldman

HAROLD

Post by Marty Feldman »

(from 2012):
We draw the line with religion and politics, both of which tend to polarize readers, and have no redeeming qualities so far as the board is concerned. Religion, politics and bad language have no place on this board, not at any time.
Harold

You and the other moderators have my very strong support for this.

-Marty-
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

This isn't a metalworking question.

Just saying.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Gary Armitstead

Post by Gary Armitstead »

Jose Rivera wrote:Nope, Worked at Jorgensen Steel Co. LA forge div.
Also McDonnell Douglas, Rockwell Int'l. Space Shuttle program and lastly U.C. Berkeley E.E.C.S Micro Lab.
I do live in Vallejo and know many people that used to work there.
It is now open for a bunch of small businesses and once in a while they get to work on dismantling ships.

A big shame that such a large shipyard was closed.

Jose,

Small world. My grandfather and my dad owned California Drop Forge in L.A. (previously named California Well Tool and Machine Works). They purchased tons of steel from Jorgensen Steel Co. My grandfather and Earle M. were very close friends when the forging industry was in its infancy. In fact I met Earle in the middle fifties when I was visiting my grandfather in the hospital after minor surgery. Earle walked into his room and gave him a "bottle" for medicinal purposes ONLY. Earle and my grandfather had a big laugh over that one!

I carried on the forging tradition in the family by being a die sinker for over forty years in L.A. area die shops, making forging dies.
Gary Armitstead
Burbank, CA
Member LALS since 1980
Member Goleta Valley Railroad Club 1980-1993