bandsaw shut off switch question

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

todd goff

bandsaw shut off switch question

Post by todd goff »

I am working on a h9aw kalamazoo saw right now (finally breaking down and trying to fix it) and have a question about the switch that cuts it off when it has made the cut (when the frame puts weight on it). What would be the correct terminology for this switch and also does anyone know where I can find one fairly reasonable. Seems like I priced it years ago from kalamazoo and it was around 300 bucks so I really don't want to go that route. If there are any suggestions for a suitable replacement that would work would someone please let me know and thanks again as always. :?:
atomarc

Re: bandsaw shut off switch question

Post by atomarc »

Todd,

This could be bum info as they probably made a ton of different styles using different electrics. I had a older saw just like yours. The frame would come down on a pushrod and trip a control that turned off the saw motor.

Because my saw was three phase, it had a three pole manual motor starter mounted on the front of the leg. It was a toggle style unit...maybe Cutler-Hammer, and the pushrod that the saw frame hit had fingers that fit around the toggle and merely pushed it down and shut it off. When you lift the frame for another cut, to start the saw you manually lift the little pushrod which flipped the toggle switch UP and started the motor.

If this is what yours is like, eBay has a bunch of stuff.......do a search for 'manual motor starter'. There are a bunch of small ones.....you want the larger one (toggle) with three poles and overloads on each pole. Look at what you have (if you have one) and match it up to the styles offered.

If your saw is three phase, this device will start/stop the saw motor and offer overload protection...this is what you want.

If this is nothing like you have then disregard this whole post...... :D

Stuart
AusDan

Post by AusDan »

I say its just a limit switch

just like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/1-NEW-MINIATURE-HON ... 500wt_1182

1 NEW TOP BOOTED PLUNGER HONEYWELL VL MINI LIMIT SWITCH
PART NUMBER: SZL-VL-D
1 NORMALLY OPEN, 1 NORMALLY CLOSED CONTACT SET

Is this the current set up you have or similar? http://machineshop.olin.edu/equipment/m ... andsaw.jpg
todd goff

Post by todd goff »

The saw that I have is identical to that one. To make a long story short I bought the saw years ago (govt. surplus) and was not on my p's and q's. The saw did not have the hydraulic cylinder with it so I finally found one the other day for 232 bucks and I bit the bullet. Kalamazoo wants over 400 for it so I figured I had better jump on it. Next thing in line is the cut off switch, haven't gotten the cylinder yet but when I do I still have a little work left to do. Thanks for the help and hopefully I will get it going one day soon.