Wanted: valve grinder info

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Sawdoktor

Wanted: valve grinder info

Post by Sawdoktor »

Hello,
I'm a new member and am trying to locate sources for parts & information regarding a valve grinding machine I just obtained.
It is a K.O. Lee (Van Norman) model K403HM. Any hints which the members can provide would be most appreciated.
Also since I'm just beginning to learn my way around the board, I'm not sure if this is the most appropriate place to post this type of request. If not, please point me toward the proper spot.
thanks,
gerry

In an effort to get better exposure, I have moved this post to the General Forum.

Harold
John Evans

Re: Wanted: valve grinder info

Post by John Evans »

"Ozarkwoodworker" on Ebay usually has manuals/parts books for such equipment.
www.chaski.com
CarlD

Post by CarlD »

Van Norman is now owned by Kwik-Way boring bar company. You can probably get parts and info from them.
It's only ink and paper.
scmods

Post by scmods »

I obtained a K.O.Lee tool grinder and found information through factory channels. It may have been a rep, as there were many companies to choose from and I don't know if these represented mergers. Anyway, the info was readily available, although a little pricey, and thorough and informative. Good luck
spro

Post by spro »

Probably you are going to want a Kwik-Way Product catalog. The one I have is ten yrs old and they already absorbed or were selling parts for the Sioux grinders. There were many adapters to other unnamed machines. It may be that now there is some special section for Van Norman/ K O L.
There were DVDs and prob still is which would popup when you did a search for a particular mill or something on ebay. It may be only one section of that disc. Not ancient stuff, well now maybe. There were Mil and a place 4 R SONS
Sawdoktor

Post by Sawdoktor »

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think I found exactly what I need for now. Several years ago, I got a US Army tech manual for my Southbend 10K which is actually the factory operating manual & parts list with an Army cover attached.
With that in mind, I started searching and sure enough the Army has a tech manual for my valve grinder as well. I couldn't readily find a free download of the manual, but I did locate a collection of Army manuals for sale which includes the one I need. http://www.combatindex.com sells manuals for just about everything the Army has ever used. The set I got includes 206 manuals for shop tools and machines including parts lists...lathes, mills, grinders etc. It sells on CDRom for $17 plus $5 shipping. I may never have to locate another manual again! http://www.ci-datastore.com/workshop-eq ... tools.html
Sourcing actual replacement parts will be a separate exercise, but at least I have the operating instructions, machine specs, exploded views and parts lists to work with now.
gerry
JackF

Post by JackF »

Sawdoktor,

PM me if you would like the name and # of a guy who has many new and used K.O. lee replacement parts.

Jack.