Atlas 912 band saw

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Diesel II

Atlas 912 band saw

Post by Diesel II »

I just picked this saw up on craigslist today for $70.00. No motor but I have a ½ hp with a gear reducer and sheave on it should be perfect for this. Does anyone the blade length and width for this model saw?

Thanks
Attachments
atlas saw.jpg
Equipment:Atlas Shaper, Bridgeport Mill, Southbend Heavy 10 Lathe
Prat and Whitney Bench Miller, Jet 13x40 Lathe, Boyar Schultz Surface Grinder
Fender

Re: Atlas 912 band saw

Post by Fender »

It looks kinda like my Craftsman saw, which uses an 80" blade. Not sure though. Easy enough to remove the blade and measure it.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
spro

Post by spro »

1st off, congrats. These are not easy to find. That ci mainframe really makes a difference. Doesn't it just IRK You that it is made in USA. What were they thinking :P anyway
You'll be getting a manual soon. That saw was 1/2" cap blade. It would like 3/8 or less. You need to look at the condition of the guides and stantions and the rigidity. This can vary widly. See nobody knows if a wheel was replaced or it was lined with a thick tire. if the adj is around the middle then that blade is okay. If it is way off then it's only about what you measure + or hey you know all this .
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I have several saws and can never remember the blade length or thickness.

So I use a marker and write all that information on the inside of the guard cover. It saves come head scratchin' for me.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
spro

Post by spro »

You are so right. Every cover of mine has it written. I bear the scars of not doing that before. There are still 98 1/2, 105, 64 1/4". These #s serve no purpose to remember, especially when they get foggy. Then a miss is a bad as a mile.
Something which hasn't been mentioned is that I tend to think of the blade at the larger adjustment. That way when it breaks there is enough left for rewelds.
richtes

Post by richtes »

Did you look on www.owwm.com for the manual? I got one of these for $20 a few years ago and after replacing the bearings it was a nice saw (don't think the originals were sealed). Didn't think much of the guides.

Rich
Diesel II

Post by Diesel II »

Saw is now up and running.
Fabricated a new table with hindge motor mount, Changed rotation on an old motor that I had with a gear reduction on it.
Attachments
Changing rotation
Changing rotation
Painting Table
Painting Table
Bad Saw In My Little Shop
Bad Saw In My Little Shop
randyc

Post by randyc »

spro wrote:...Something which hasn't been mentioned is that I tend to think of the blade at the larger adjustment. That way when it breaks there is enough left for rewelds.
Good idea - I never thought of that when I made a riser block for my 14 inch woodworking bandsaw (the machine was previously limited to about 5-3/4 inches in re-saw height). Woodworking blades don't break often but still, I'd have dimensioned the riser block so that a standard blade would fit at 80% of the tension adjustment, leaving an inch or two for scarfing and silver-soldering a broken blade.

Dang, even old dogs learn a new trick once in a while.

Thanks Spro,
Randy C
Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

Diesel II, what was the length of the blade that came with the saw?

Perhaps these will help:

http://www.toolcenter.com/mm5/merchant. ... en=LENOXBT

http://www.toolcenter.com/BBLADEFAQ.html
Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.
Diesel II

Post by Diesel II »

Steve_in_Mich wrote:Diesel II, what was the length of the blade that came with the saw?

Perhaps these will help:
It is 80" With my gear reducer I calculate the blade speed to be about 220 FPM. I think I can live with that so I wont need to change ratios on my pullies.
chucketn

Post by chucketn »

I have the exact same saw. Does anyone know of a good source for replacement guides for this saw?