Thread Lockers

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

PeteH

Thread Lockers

Post by PeteH »

I'm looking for a thread sealer that will resist vibration AND that can be disassembled. There used to be a compound called "Vibra-Tite" that was sold thru motorcycle shops, but I haven't seen it in years.

What's a good substitute ? How about Pliobond cement ? I think I remember someone telling me to use that.

Thanks...
Last edited by PeteH on Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pete in NJ
atomarc

Re: Thread sealers

Post by atomarc »

Pete,

In the Loctite brand which are usually colored to indicate 'removablility', the blue threadlocker is considered removable with conventional hand tools as opposed to the red locker which requires applied heat to remove the fastener.

Your post states 'thread sealer' which isn't what I have described above. A thread sealer, in my mind would be for some type of pipe thread or thread under a pressure situation. Loctitie also makes various products for this application. I like the yellow, anaerobic sealer which I believe is #571 although I'm not sure. It seals pipe threads and locks the joint as well. It can be dissembled with hand tools but takes some effort. This item seals and locks...is this what you had in mind?

Stuart
timmy wheeler

Post by timmy wheeler »

Will loc tite prevent rust on the treads too? (like in the warm damp environment of a steam engine? timmy
illigitimi non carborundum
platypus20

Post by platypus20 »

Vibra-tite is still being sold, I bought 2 bottles last week.

jack
jack
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Thanks, guys...

Yes, I meant thread LOCKERS - I don't know if I can edit the title of the post, but if I can I will.

The blue Loctite may be the ticket, but I'm glad to hear that Vibra-Tite still is around... now I have to find some. The stuff I remember was Day-Glo red, and stayed gooey - you put it on the male thread, waited 15 min., then assembled. Worked well on motorcycles.

Cheers... PeteH
Pete in NJ
platypus20

Post by platypus20 »

PeteH wrote:Thanks, guys...

Yes, I meant thread LOCKERS - I don't know if I can edit the title of the post, but if I can I will.

The blue Loctite may be the ticket, but I'm glad to hear that Vibra-Tite still is around... now I have to find some. The stuff I remember was Day-Glo red, and stayed gooey - you put it on the male thread, waited 15 min., then assembled. Worked well on motorcycles.

Cheers... PeteH

yep, thats the stuff, my local industrial supplier stocks it.

jack
jack
gwerhart0800

Re: Thread Lockers

Post by gwerhart0800 »

PeteH wrote:How about Pliobond cement ?
Pliobond is contact cement and is probably not a good choice as a thread locker. It would probably be okay for keeping moisture out, but it is not going to have the shear strength needed for thread locking.
George Erhart
Loveland, CO
https://lovelandcreatorspace.com
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

Wait 15 mins. then assemble? I don't have that kind of time.
gregvasale

Post by gregvasale »

You can also use Loctite 290, described as a "wicking" thread locker and sealant. Appplied after assembly is made. I used to use Blue Loctite on my car... tie rod ends, ball joint fasteners. I never had anything come loose, but mechanics would have a fit when they saw no cotter pins. Even camshaft bolts. I used rec Loctite once on a aluminum intake manifold for the carb mount bolts, and that was not good. Really buggered one up, and it broke trying to remove.
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

Just remember that heat will loosen threadlockers, around 350 degrees, if the part can take it.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

i have used a lot of locktite green on al it hols until heated and the releases for disaembly

lots of options dependy on your needs