Enco Rotary Table

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

EdK

Enco Rotary Table

Post by EdK »

I've been looking at this rotary table from Enco for a long time and finally decided to pull the trigger and ordered it.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=200-1144

They have a 20% off promo code so I used that and it basically covered the cost of shipping.

I'm wondering if anyone else has this rotary table and if so what are your opinions of it? It weighs between 90 and 100lbs so I'll need to make a crane to move it on and off the mill table. I've wanted to get a rotary table for a couple of years now but could never decide between a 6" and 8". It seems it's one of those things where you should get the largest you can use on your mills so I got the 8".

Ed
Vectrax 14x40 lathe, Enco RF-45 clone mill, MillerMatic 180 MIG.
randyc

Re: Enco Rotary Table

Post by randyc »

Hi Ed,

I have an eight inch that I ordered from Enco but it looks different (has two vertical mounting lugs and two horizontal lugs). Mine also came with the dividing apparatus and a 17 - 47 hole set of plates. It IS very heavy, as you mentioned, and I have made a small roll-around platform for mine so that I can move it around the bench during setup. I'm considering a crane to move mine, too, but in the meantime, here's what I do:

After I get the table set up to my liking, I lower the mill table so that it is an inch or two lower than my workbench. Placing a plywood ramp between the workbench and the mill table, I roll the rotab down to the mill and carefully slide it off the little wheeled platform onto the table. To get it back on the workbench, reverse the process only raising the mill table an inch or two above workbench level.

Works pretty good except for that two or three seconds of "grunt" getting it on/off the platform, LOL.

Mine hasn't seen extensive use but works well ... I've made a couple of large milling cutters from 1-1/2 diameter drill rod and a number of smaller projects. (I even used it for a couple of woodworking projects with my home-made router spindle attached to the mill quill.) The cool thing about it is that the backlash in the worm can be completely adjusted out. Frankly, I've thought about a smaller table (for convenience) but the argument for the bigger table is that more mass prevents chatter and makes for a smoother cut. If yours doesn't come with dividing plates, you might consider that as one of your first projects.

Good buy, I think -
Randy C

PS: I keep the table (screwed to the platform) stored on my workbench but it is clamped to the bench so it doesn't move around during earthquakes.
EdK

Post by EdK »

Hi Randy,

The one I ordered does come with the dividing plates and tailstock. The ad claims it is a Phase II brand but the link I posted to it does not seem to be a Phase II rotary table. I guess I'll find out when it arrives.
Thanks for the idea on using a piece of plywood as a ramp. I'll need to resort to that method also until I get the crane made. I'm a wimp so any aids I can use to my advantage are requirements. :)

Ed
PixMan

Post by PixMan »

My dad had bought one of those Phase II items you describe. He's had it the better part of 10 years now, and it's never been out of the big wooden box. That may be in part because the big wooden box is holding up a slightly smaller wooden box holding a 0-12" set of micrometers....that have also never been out of the box.

:roll:

Someday.... :wink:
Lew Hartswick

Post by Lew Hartswick »

:-) A piddley little 8" one can't weigh more than about 45 or 50 lb. Now the 12" (horiz only)
one we have at school is a handfull to get on and off the mill table. :-)
...lew...
randyc

Post by randyc »

Of course, the weight also depends on what is mounted to the table :)
P1010782.JPG
I weigh 128 pounds so this is about all I can handle, LOL. (Ed, you can see the little plywood platform with casters.)

Cheers,
Randy C
coal miner

Post by coal miner »

EdK . I am contemplating the same purchase . The addy says Phase II , but close inspection, it looks different than the than the Phase II advertised in the catalog . HMMM.... Called Enco and talked w /saleswomen ,who spoke w/ tech support , said they may have Enco name or Phase II on them . She stated they buy their house brand from Phase II and just have their name put on them . Let us know what you get and some pics please .
The more I learn , The more I don't know !
EdK

Post by EdK »

Lew Hartswick wrote::-) A piddley little 8" one can't weigh more than about 45 or 50 lb. Now the 12" (horiz only)
one we have at school is a handfull to get on and off the mill table. :-)
...lew...
Hi Lew,

I'm assuming you were being sarcastic since the 8" actually weighs about 90lbs. :lol:
I can't imagine what a 12" weighs :!:

Ed
EdK

Post by EdK »

coal miner wrote:EdK . I am contemplating the same purchase . The addy says Phase II , but close inspection, it looks different than the than the Phase II advertised in the catalog . HMMM.... Called Enco and talked w /saleswomen ,who spoke w/ tech support , said they may have Enco name or Phase II on them . She stated they buy their house brand from Phase II and just have their name put on them . Let us know what you get and some pics please .
Coal Miner,

Good to hear that it is a Phase II product. I'll certainly take some pictures and post them when it arrives. It should ship on Monday but it has to ship freight so it's hard to say when it will show up. The shipper Enco uses to ship stuff to Minnesota brings it to their depot and then contracts out the actual delivery to a local shipper so it can sit in their depot for a few days until they have enough packages to make it worth delivering to a particular area of the state. I suspect I'll have it by the end of the week though.

Ed
Walt Lindsay

Post by Walt Lindsay »

You may find that an 8 in. RT is going to serve you the best. Some time back I purchased a 12 in. RT and
is that puppy hard to handle. I have a mill that weights in at 3100 lbs. with a 10X50 table and I can really tell
when that 12 in. RT is on the mill table. I have no idea just how much that RT weights but it must be in excess
of 200 lbs.

Below is some photos of the RT coming off of the mill.
Dscn1114-SM.jpg
Dscn1118-SM.jpg
Dscn1116-SM.jpg
The transfer plate is steel and hooks on to the mill table as well as the work bench
WALT

In the event of an EXTREME EMERGENCY most of those who are prepared will survive,
all the rest will perish.
KE6IWK
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Ed--

I bought a Phase II 10" horizontal/vertical rotary table from Enco. This is what it looks like . . .
05-05-08-m.JPG
I can't remember how much it weighs. I DO remember it weighs too much for me to be lifting it on and off the table very often. (Like, more than once.) So, I went to Harbor Freight and bought an inexpensive, hyraulic lift table. Then I built a "riser" (the wooden thingy) that would give me a nice surface somewhere within the range of my mill's knee travel. The riser's table consists of a piece of 3/4" plywood surfaced with a piece of 1/16" hardware store sheet steel.
09-05-08-a.JPG
I keep the surface of the lift table slicked up with the same stuff I use to protect and lube metal on the mill. This allows me to easily move either the rotary table or the Kurt. I just raise the lift table to the height of the mill table and slide the Phase II R/T or the Kurt off or on. When not in use, the collapsed lift table makes for a great place to store either or both components.

--Bill
You are what you write.
EdK

Post by EdK »

This is the mill I have:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PART ... TH325-5184

An 8" rotary table is about as big as I would want on that mill. I'm on the look-out for a knee type mill. I'm in no hurry so I'm waiting for that really sweet deal to come along. :)

Ed