Info wanted on micro ball valve or similar

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Jors

Info wanted on micro ball valve or similar

Post by Jors »

I am the user of a home bench lathe and I am now thinking of adding a coolant system to my lathe.
I am currently using a tapping fluid that I add manually by hand with a plastic bottle with a fine spout. The tapping fluid is a ultra fast vaporizing fluid with oil added. It cools everything when vaporizing. I am tired if adding the fluid as I want both hand free. I am not interested in adding a water system.

I am thinking of making a small container with the fluid with a small ball valve to control the rate of feeding to very small. I will either add a piece of wire inside the pipe or a coiled flat wire around the piping so that I can bend it and it stays in shape. I will the mount the whole (small) system with a magnet on the saddle next to the QCTP or I will mount the container higher and lead the pipe to a magnet mounted on the saddle, next to the QCTP.

I want to add a small ball valve or spigot type of tap / valve with a tapered piece that will let the fluid drops landed on the lathe tool's tip to cool it down.

Is there any such systems available to give me an idea or any info available on where I can get such a small ball valve? I reckon this system will be more expensive than current but still economical as half a liter (pint) lasts for ages.
Regards
Johan
ken572

Re: Info wanted on micro ball valve or similar

Post by ken572 »

Last edited by ken572 on Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:43 am, edited 4 times in total.
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
Bill Wilkins

Post by Bill Wilkins »

http://www.americanmodeleng.com/

Check here. Small valves for live steam engines. Several different kinds and brass.

Bill W.
Plum Cove Chassis, freelance body - 2008 - Present
Wabash 569 - Allen Mogul - April 09-Jan 12
Bob Snippe Alco S-4 - Feb 12 - Apr 15
Lew Hartswick

Post by Lew Hartswick »

I think you want a needle valve. Ball valves do not throttle flow very well, they are primarily
a full on or off type thing.
...lew...
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Johan,

Did you find the valves you were looking for??

Ken :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
Jors

Post by Jors »

I went to my preferred engineering supplies on Friday morning to buy carbide tips and I found a nylon tap with a bendable spout in segments of 300 mm long for about $14.00 and I ahve decided to work from there.
Regards
Johan