$$$ cost of materials

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: Harold_V, websterz, GlennW

steamin10

$$$ cost of materials

Post by steamin10 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:58 pm

Wow! I must have been asleep lately, or I just dont buy material at retail. My stock of copper based metals has gone up in price by nearly 200%. I checked prices on McMaster. Ouch!

I wanted to complain about the price of wire for a job at nearly $60 a spool, but got to checking and it is all over that way. - Awaken dreamer and beakon to me - I need some brass and bronze, maybe I will cast out some bar shapes to whittle on.

Anybody know the address of the little shop called Usable Materials? It was a neet playground in Chicago for machine types like me, with motors, switches and sheet materials. I havent been there in a while. I forgot where it is.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.

737mechanic

Re: $$$ cost of materials

Post by 737mechanic » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:46 pm

Yea when the price of oil goes up every thing goes up. Cost more to mine, process and deliver so that cost is passed on to everyone. I have noticed the price of everything. I used to buy these really nice heavy duty plastic bins for $2.99 and now they are about $10.00 for the same ones so I have found myself buying the cheap ones at $5.00 and they are junk.

I have wanted to buy some brass and bearing bronze just to have when I need it but because of the price I have never gotten around to it.

Metals came down when oil went back down a couple years ago but now that oil is going back up metals will follow.

Funny thing is everyone was saying the reason oil was going up was because Bush had his hand in the oil industry, well I guess Obama has his hand in the oil industry too because oil never came back down to $20.00 a barrell where it should be.

JimGlass

Post by JimGlass » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:55 pm

I buy more and more stuff on Ebay. Even then I need to shop around to find the same item that is priced right. Some stuff on Ebay is higher than the in MSC catalog :roll:

Just wait another year and see what happens to prices. Oil and other comodities could put us in another recession.

Jim
Last edited by JimGlass on Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com

Torch

Post by Torch » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:33 pm

JimGlass wrote:Just wait another year and see what happens to prices. Oil and other comodities could put us in another recession.
Oil may be a part of it, but here's a bigger picture of the problem:

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

(Warning: the above is very, very scary).

machine48

Post by machine48 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:19 pm

I did not know we were out of the recession...........

steamin10

Post by steamin10 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:06 am

I have not had a punch clock job since Union Tank Car closed its East Chicago plant.

I am depressed. ( Along with 10.2 million workers, or whatever number they use today).

If you have a job, your economy is good.

I have to make my job, and figure how to get paid from broke people like me.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:07 am

At the risk of making a political statement (striclty prohibited on this board!), those with wisdom see the problem as the dollar having no buying power. Gold coins were struck with an official valuation of gold @ $20.67/ounce. Silver coins were struck with an official valuatioin of $1.29/ounce. In both cases, the ounce still contains 480 grains, but it now takes a huge amount of money to make the same purchase. As we speak, gold sits at $1382.50.

Do the math.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.

spro

Post by spro » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:41 am

Politics as we knew it was two parties. There is other stuff which has made a lasting impression and will for years. This entity is bent on destroying from top to bottom the foundations required for this Country to work. It's outside yet uses politics. I/We cannot give it a name here but it is there.

steamin10

Post by steamin10 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:49 am

Harold, I bought 8 Krugerands in my life time. I have never cashed them. They have vanished with time. Not lost. I did the math. I dont weep, but it sure would be handy to have what I worked for. Same thing with my Property. You buy into the system, and expect it to be fair. It is not, and never was. The taxes are now what I paid for the property payments.

I cant eat Krugs, but I can use copper wire. And some brass. Now $3 a gallon to go get them.

Now I know how Granpa felt, to save nickles and quarters, and be amazed at the grocery. Eggs $1.89? No wonder I had to collect them under his porch, from his herd. :lol: That was fun times for a tike. I am not a tike anymore. Just trying not to live in the past. I am building a chicken palace this winter, for more critters. I still have two nest sections that only need the wood perches replaced. Thats 20 holes. Brown eggs are not chocolate, and taste the same. :mrgreen: Kitchen trash goes back into my food chain. :!:

Flybynight

Post by Flybynight » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:17 am

Yes, Steel is going out of sight.
I bought some last spring and thought it was high.
Bought another ton this fall and the price was 25% more than last spring.
And I just got a notice last week that on the 20th of Dec. there was going to be a 20% rise in the cost of steel. (That is wholesale by the way)
Yep Greed is going to run us into a heavyer depression.
Jim
Armed Men are Citizens, Unarmed men are Subjects.

J Tiers

Post by J Tiers » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:24 am

To be fair, the cost of gas has increased less than 2x since the 1960s.

Inflation is about 8x per the last time I checked the averages, and the 27 cent gallon of those days costs $3.... so it should cost about $2.10, and it costs $3.

The $3 gas is equivalent to paying about 39 cents a gallon in the 1960s. I remember paying 45 cents out West on the reservation in about 1972.

Torch

Post by Torch » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:54 pm

J Tiers wrote:To be fair, the cost of gas has increased less than 2x since the 1960s.
At the same time, the overall cost of living (in 1972 dollars) has increased seven-fold. I find it fascinating that the US deficit seems to increase whenever you have a Republican president and actually decreases when you have a Democrat president.

In the Regan years, the US federal deficit more than doubled compared to the Carter era. The first Bush administration added another 50% to that. Clinton's gang actually ran a surplus for a few years, but Bush the second annihilated that, increasing your deficit to record levels. It will be interesting to see if the pattern holds true with another Democrat at the helm.

As an outsider looking in, I would have expected the opposite -- I always had it in my mind that the Republicans were supposed to be the fiscally responsible bunch and the Democrats were known for lavish spending on social programs.

Of course, the deficit is just a measure of spending vs income. A democrat can still spend more while reducing the deficit by raising taxes more than increasing spending. Here in left-leaning Canada, taxes tend to be higher (so much for the myth about "free" health care ;-) ) but the public debt per citizen is only $16,000, compared to $45,000 per citizen in the US. The net result is we give away a lot less of our GDP as interest on those loans.

It wasn't always that way -- we faced a debt crisis in the 80's. There were some tough times and hard decisions along the way to controlling the beast. (Generally borne by those least able to afford it! We didn't see too many bank presidents making use of the food banks.) And the current round of stimulus spending threatens to reverse the process. Fortunately, your public debt to GDP ratio is still better than ours. Hopefully your leaders (of all stripes) will wake up and smell the coffee before you end up like Ireland.