$$$ cost of materials

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: Harold_V, websterz, GlennW

Fender

Re: $$$ cost of materials

Post by Fender » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:52 pm

Here is my (completely apolitical) analysis: the recession is finally ending, and there is more demand for oil and materials. So the price on everything is going up. People and businesses want more of everything now that there is more money available (or money to be made), and the supply is basically the same. Not a master conspiracy, just Economics 101: good news/bad news.
Dan Watson

Conrad_R_Hoffman

Post by Conrad_R_Hoffman » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:53 pm

Yup, Fender's got it right. Just normal market forces. IMO, most conspiracy theories fall apart with even brief analysis and I don't think giant organizations like governments are capable of moving in any particular direction with consistency and purpose. Not ours anyway.

We did just have a guy arrested for stealing $64,000 worth of brass railings off a downtown building, so watch where you get your brass!
Conrad

1947 Logan 211 Lathe, Grizzly G1006 mill/drill, Clausing DP,
Boyar-Schultz 612H surface grinder, Sunnen hone, import
bandsaw, lots of measurement stuff, cutters, clutter & stuff.

"May the root sum of the squares of the Forces be with you."

Gently

Post by Gently » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:28 am

For Metal I have found WWW.onlinemetals.com are very economical they sell all and are reasonable including the shipping. check them out if you have not already.

Now as far as gas prices: a well moratorium was placed on all Gulf oil a while back, no new permits to drill have been approved for the last year and a half, and no order has been given to release the National stratigic deposit. I have two wells on my property both were placed into the NSOD in 2002 they came in and capped the wells and are paying me for the "estamated oil" they would produce...I still get free natural gas.

economy 101, if you have a limited amount of something and the demand for that something is high then the price will rise...nuff said.

Flybynight

Post by Flybynight » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:29 am

Wow
Just bought a load os steel this week for a job.
The cost is now up to 79¢ a pound !
But I have to lower my wage to stay competitive.
It doesn't look good.

As the other posts Things are less due to inflation.
All I can say in my income has been the same or less for over 15 years.
But, Gas, and everyting else is more.
But won't have to worry about it much longer.
Jim
Armed Men are Citizens, Unarmed men are Subjects.

CarlD

Post by CarlD » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:02 am

I don't think the government is going to admit to inflation because it would wreak havoc on the economy and the value of our money. We are in an inflationary economy regardless of what they say.

Countries around the world are on the edge of bankruptcy and the USA is right there with them.

Scrap metal prices are real high right now and that is the only thing keeping a friend in the business of hauling dirt and gravel alive. He has been hauling scrap lately. He just got a part time job with the county highway dept to keep him afloat. Even our county government is teetering on the edge now.

I lost the only real good customer I had in the spring because they started doing the work in house rather than having me do it. It was a big money maker for me. Competition around here is very high in the machine shop work and I think most are just breaking even to stay open.
It's only ink and paper.