grizzly 4015, Inquiring minds want to know

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Gently

grizzly 4015, Inquiring minds want to know

Post by Gently »

Howdy! once again I am amazed at the information on this site!
Flattery will get you.....something! :wink:
Now, that aside, I have a G4015 older design, It has been VERY lightly used and seems very tight and has very little backlash on the wheelie thingies that make it move. I know a Lathe Mill combo is not an accuracte system, but the Lathe part seems to work VERY well.

So I was thinking, :idea: since the Lathe works well is it possible to take the "Mill" part (that is the drill head) and remove it, make a new heavy stand and turn it into a dedicated Mill? I know that I would need to get another motor but since the gears, belts and quill are already there could it be done "cheaper" than buying a complete mill for say 1200.00 and could it be as accurate as a purchased mill of that amount?

I intend to one day have both a dedicated Mill and a Lathe So I was wondering if any of YOU have ever heard of such a thing?
tailshaft56

Re: grizzly 4015, Inquiring minds want to know

Post by tailshaft56 »

The big issue I see is a table. They make the XY tables but if it were me I would be looking to up grade to a regular mill. Just 10 mills worth. ( 2 cents worth would need a full paragraph. LOL ).
Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TS
Millermatic Challenger 172
Victor O/A
Atlas Craftsman 12 by 24 Lathe
Esab PCM-875
Wholesale Tool Mill-Drill