Tilting Table ?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Flybynight

Tilting Table ?

Post by Flybynight »

I am looking at getting a tilting table.
I have a couple of questions.
Are they useful?
0014601-11.jpg
0014601-11.jpg (18.03 KiB) Viewed 4086 times
How does it hold down? It only tilts 45 Deg. Does it hold the angle?
How is it secured to the mill? Internal clamps? Bolts?

And this one.
It tilts 90 deg. Does this one hold the angle?
It looks more usefull.
Any info will be helpfull. Added: There are differant sizes. Is the smallest Ok. Or what size do
You use? Any Idea of what might be the best size?
Thanks
Jim
Attachments
swivel angle table.jpg
swivel angle table.jpg (24.87 KiB) Viewed 4086 times
Last edited by Flybynight on Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Armed Men are Citizens, Unarmed men are Subjects.
Richard_W

Re: Tilting Table ?

Post by Richard_W »

Jim I have used the one in your first photo and it does hold the angle. There are two nuts to loosen where you can't see them in the photo. They come in handy if your mill doesn't have a head that tilts. Also comes in handy on a drill press.

Richard W.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Flybynight,

IMHO, I think they are very useful. :wink: What is the brand
name and model number of the second one shown? (90deg.)

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Both of those pictured are Enco imports. I have and have used both (mine are something like 5x7 and 7x10 respectively - purchesed from Enco at about $60 or $70 each on sale with free ship). Though they both leave a bit to be desired "as delivered", mine only required some "stoning" and cleanup with a fine second cut file, others report major effort required to square/flatten/fit properly. The first can be an SOB to adjust and get right where you want it (for instance, setting accurately with protractor). And the angle locking clamps are under the arc making it a real headache to tighten in some setups. But it is quite rigid for what it is, though that is impaired by required stacking if you need the mounting surface between 45* and 90* from horizontal. The second is much more convenient for general use, easy to adjust, and full 90* range. But it also can be a bear to get locked in without loosing accurate location, and it can have a tendency to vibrate/chatter in heavier cuts if you can't otherwise restrain the piece (for instance, third point with jacks or toe clamps, which can also help limit shift when tightening). Sometimes I use one, sometimes the other...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
JimGlass

Post by JimGlass »

I have the second table shown. It works very well and holds the angles very well. I don't use it much but it is great to have when the need arrises.
Jim
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

One thing to consider is the cost difference if only for occasional use.

I just received the one in the upper pic on Wednesday in the 10 x 15" size. It's on sale for $149.00 and free shipping with FSCJAN. Pretty hard to beat...

The lower one in a 10" x 12" size is $349, and 12" x 15" is $452.00 and both require truck freight, which is additional.

The one in the upper pic appears to be a more rigid design, but I may be wrong.

I used mine yesterday and it seemed to work just fine. Setting it was easy as I didn't pay much attention to the degree marks, and set it using a dial indicator. (rise and run) I had no problem with it moving around when setting it as I got it close with the degree marks, lightly snugged up the two locking bolts, and gave it the final adjustment with a few taps with a plastic dead blow mallet. It never changed upon final tightening of the locking bolts.

I was actually quite happy with the condition of it when unpacked and didn't do anything to it other than bolt it to the table and use it. For the cost, the quality seems quite good. Well, I had to make some tee nuts as the slots are .550" wide and all of my tee nuts are for 5/8 slots...

Although Phenolic is certainly not a test of rigidity, it got the job done.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Torch

Post by Torch »

I have the upper one in 7"x11".
lock-bolt.jpg
That bolt on the underside below the scale has a friend at the other end. The two are 3/4" /19mm heads and I find that it helps to tighten them in steps to prevent changing the angle, especially when trying to hit dead level. Once they are tightened down, I doubt you could change the angle with a sledgehammer. There are two slightly different versions of this table -- mine has the worm drive, but it's also available without for a few bucks less. The worm drive is not particularly precise but is nice to keep the rather heavy table from flopping from side to side. I must have got lucky -- mine was pretty darn flat right out of the box.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Ken,

Table in upper image:
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPA ... M=418-4204

Table in lower Image:
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPA ... M=418-4186

You wouls think they would be on the same page and called the same thing, but...
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Flybynight

Post by Flybynight »

Thanks for the input so far.
I will have to decide which one I will get.
They are both Enco Imports.
The first one in 5X7 size is on sale for $70
The second one in 5X6 is on sale for $90, In 8X10 on sale $140.
And the Jan Free shipping is still good until Feb 28th. FSCJAN
Jim
Armed Men are Citizens, Unarmed men are Subjects.
CarlD

Post by CarlD »

I will suggest you get the top table in your opening post. Due to the way they lock down, the top table is more rigid. I have the top table and have used it several time. I have used both types in different shops I worked. I will also suggest when you get it, take it apart and remove all the crappy grease in it and just use oil on the surfaces because the grease collects chips and is then hard to remove them.

DON'T trust the markings on the angle display if you need accuracy, it's close but not perfect. Be aware of which side the crank will be on when your tilting the table close to 45 deg. Sometimes the crank is in the way to go the full tilt.

You may want to mount the table on your mill upside down and indicate the base of the table in front to rear and then take a flycut on the bottom of the base to be sure the table is close to parallel to the table when it is set at "0". Also notice where the angle indicator points to on the protractor on the end to see if yours is close to "0".
It's only ink and paper.
EdK

Post by EdK »

I've been eying the one in the first picture for years. I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the 7" x 10" size for $90 with free shipping. That thing weighs 66lbs so shipping would have been pricey.

Ed
Vectrax 14x40 lathe, Enco RF-45 clone mill, MillerMatic 180 MIG.
Rosco-P

Post by Rosco-P »

I'd suggest you skip the import junk. Even worse, those are made in India. Find a used sine table and use solid blocking or machinist jacks between the plates. How about: http://cgi.ebay.com/6-X-12-T-SLOT-TILTI ... 3f0743661c